From: sohosources on
Hi, Gang:

My main PC has a pair of SATA II hard drives that I use for XP -- a
250-GB boot drive and a 500-GB Data drive with multiple partitions. I
also have a PATA IDE drive tray system that lets me swap multiple
drives in and out for testing other OSs, etc.

On one removable PATA drive I have a duplicate XP install that I use
only for games (so the game junk doesn't crud-up my registry, etc). I
had a bunch of multiboot problems until I physically disconnected my
usual SATA drives and reformatted and reinstalled XP on the IDE drive.
Then, each drive had working boot files and the two boot menus didn't
interact, etc. I simply let the BIOS default to the 250 SATA drive and
use the F9 boot drive selector at startup when I want to boot to the
IDE drive.

Problem: I don't want to physically disconnect my SATA drives every
time I install a new version of Linux onto a removable IDE drive. The
damn connectors are hard to get out, and I don't want to stress my MB
or the connector blocks on my drives...but I do want to have the
drives effectively "out of the system" so I can't accidentally
reformat them, wipe out a partition, etc, when I'm installing
something on the PATA/IDE bus

I tried disabling the drives in the bios, but low-level programs such
as Acronis True image and Partition Magic still "see" the drives even
though they're "disabled," and I don't want to accidentally nuke them.

1. Can I simply disconnect the SATA power cables from the drives,
leaving the hard-to-remove SATA signal cables still attached? Could
that damage the drives in any way? Would that effectively disconnect
the drives from low-level routines (I assume it would since there's no
power)?

2. Is there an effective way to "soft disconnect" the drives in the
BIOS, etc?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

--KK in MN

From: Eric Gisin on
Usually the Integrated Periphs setup lets you disable each IDE channel.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously sohosources(a)gmail.com <sohosources(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Gang:

> My main PC has a pair of SATA II hard drives that I use for XP -- a
> 250-GB boot drive and a 500-GB Data drive with multiple partitions. I
> also have a PATA IDE drive tray system that lets me swap multiple
> drives in and out for testing other OSs, etc.

> On one removable PATA drive I have a duplicate XP install that I use
> only for games (so the game junk doesn't crud-up my registry, etc). I
> had a bunch of multiboot problems until I physically disconnected my
> usual SATA drives and reformatted and reinstalled XP on the IDE drive.
> Then, each drive had working boot files and the two boot menus didn't
> interact, etc. I simply let the BIOS default to the 250 SATA drive and
> use the F9 boot drive selector at startup when I want to boot to the
> IDE drive.

> Problem: I don't want to physically disconnect my SATA drives every
> time I install a new version of Linux onto a removable IDE drive. The
> damn connectors are hard to get out, and I don't want to stress my MB
> or the connector blocks on my drives...but I do want to have the
> drives effectively "out of the system" so I can't accidentally
> reformat them, wipe out a partition, etc, when I'm installing
> something on the PATA/IDE bus

> I tried disabling the drives in the bios, but low-level programs such
> as Acronis True image and Partition Magic still "see" the drives even
> though they're "disabled," and I don't want to accidentally nuke them.

> 1. Can I simply disconnect the SATA power cables from the drives,
> leaving the hard-to-remove SATA signal cables still attached? Could
> that damage the drives in any way? Would that effectively disconnect
> the drives from low-level routines (I assume it would since there's no
> power)?

Yes, that works. The data cable are insuklated anyways, via small
coupling capacirotrs. The drive will not get damaged. And without
power it will stay totally unresponsive.

> 2. Is there an effective way to "soft disconnect" the drives in the
> BIOS, etc?

I don't think so.

> Your help is greatly appreciated!

One additional thing you can do is put a switch in, that disconnects
pwer. The clean thing is tio use a three contact one. Disconnecting
3.3V entirely and switching only 12V and 5V should typically work as
well.

Arno

From: Andy on
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:17:17 -0700, "sohosources(a)gmail.com"
<sohosources(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, Gang:
>
>My main PC has a pair of SATA II hard drives that I use for XP -- a
>250-GB boot drive and a 500-GB Data drive with multiple partitions. I
>also have a PATA IDE drive tray system that lets me swap multiple
>drives in and out for testing other OSs, etc.
>
>On one removable PATA drive I have a duplicate XP install that I use
>only for games (so the game junk doesn't crud-up my registry, etc). I
>had a bunch of multiboot problems until I physically disconnected my
>usual SATA drives and reformatted and reinstalled XP on the IDE drive.
>Then, each drive had working boot files and the two boot menus didn't
>interact, etc. I simply let the BIOS default to the 250 SATA drive and
>use the F9 boot drive selector at startup when I want to boot to the
>IDE drive.
>
>Problem: I don't want to physically disconnect my SATA drives every
>time I install a new version of Linux onto a removable IDE drive. The
>damn connectors are hard to get out, and I don't want to stress my MB
>or the connector blocks on my drives...but I do want to have the
>drives effectively "out of the system" so I can't accidentally
>reformat them, wipe out a partition, etc, when I'm installing
>something on the PATA/IDE bus
>
>I tried disabling the drives in the bios, but low-level programs such
>as Acronis True image and Partition Magic still "see" the drives even
>though they're "disabled," and I don't want to accidentally nuke them.
>
>1. Can I simply disconnect the SATA power cables from the drives,
>leaving the hard-to-remove SATA signal cables still attached? Could
>that damage the drives in any way? Would that effectively disconnect
>the drives from low-level routines (I assume it would since there's no
>power)?
>
>2. Is there an effective way to "soft disconnect" the drives in the
>BIOS, etc?

What motherboard are you using?
Some motherboards allow this; others don't.