From: John Spencer on
What do you mean by updating the query? Are you just executing a select
query? If so, that should have minimal effect on the report's speed. The
effect it MIGHT have would be to cause some caching of the results.

The query will run when the report opens, so there is really no reason to
execute the query unless it is
== Updating a table
== deleting records from a table
== adding records to a table.

One thing that sometimes can help if you have very complex queries is to dump
the data into tables and then use the tables. This is very seldom the best
solution but there are a few cases with very complex reports that I do this
for performance reasons.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: mrPela on
Yes' It's a simple select query. The reason I do it is because I want to
limit the results to only a specific group. There are thousands of records,
and I only need records for a specific group of records. So in the query that
I'm running prior, I identify which group I want.

are you telling me that doesn't have an affect?

Also - my db is split (front end/back end). However it's not an .MDE. If I
were to make it one, how would that improve this performance issue I'm having.

From: John Spencer on
Making it an mde would have almost zero effect on the speed.

Yes, running the query before hand should have NO effect on the speed of the
report. Try it without running the query first and see if you get any change.

As an experiment - make a copy of the report and remove the sub-reports. How
fast is it?

Now make a copy and remove three of the four sub-reports? How fast is it?

Repeat for all the sub-reports and see if any specific sub-report is the
culprit. If so, work on speeding that up.

Sub-reports can slow down a report significantly. Without being able to
actually see the report it is difficult to tell you what the exact problem is
or could be.