From: Desaivres Alain on
Hi

SITUATION... Two Excel version 11.0 and 12.0 are installed on a subset of
machines... Depending on the last update made, one or the other is declared
as the default Excel to be launch...

This can be seen in the following registry key...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application\CurVer that can equal
to Excel.Application.12
or to Excel.Application.11

Manifestly, only a reregistration of a given excel version can reestablish
an expected situation such as havin version 12.0 being the default one...

QUESTION...
How can I run a "LIGHT" Reregistration of Excel 12.0 through a script
launched at login time ? and this without being forced to run an Office
reparation...
Is this possible through some registry key manipulations ?

Thanks for your help
Regards
Alain
From: Gary Brown on
How about having a .bat file run when pulling up Excel that registers the
'proper' Excel...

'To UnRegister Excel:
' 1) Close Excel
' 2) Windows Start Button
' 3) Run
' 4) Excel /unregserver

'To Register Excel:
' 1) Close Excel
' 2) Windows Start Button
' 3) Run
' 4) Excel /regserver

where 'Excel' includes the appropriate file path.

--
Hope this helps.
If it does, please click the Yes button.

From: Peter T on
No doubt in theory it's possible to register via the registry, but would
probably need to unregister Excel 2003 first, Then a lot of work. From the
command line you could do

"C:\pathToXL2007\excel.exe" /regserver

or similar with Shell (note you'll probably need double quotes around the
path)

I very much doubt you'll want to do this on each login time, at most if/as
necessary which should be only very rarely (you can get the CurVer from the
registry).

Regards,
Peter T

"Desaivres Alain" <DesaivresAlain(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F376F9BE-B442-454B-8C4C-45B50F8E7C13(a)microsoft.com...

From: Desaivres Alain on
Hi
In fact I have found that solution
"C:\pathToXL2007\excel.exe" /regserver
but on my machine
- it works perfectly with the Excel.exe of 2003 version
- but not with the excel.exe of 2007

in the first case HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application\CurVer move from
Excel.Application.12 to Excel.Application.A11 => perfect... Excel is not
opened, just some small installation windows...

Unfortunately - In the second case excel open and nothing hapen regarding
the default excel which stay to Excel.Application.11

Any idea ?
Thanks and Regards
Alain
From: Desaivres Alain on
Yes Gary...
This is "the" idea unfortunately works for Excel 2003 but not for Excel
2007...
Any additional peace of advice will be appreciated
Thanks and regards
Alain