From: Jaseem on
Hello,

My problem:
Suppose that there is no GUI front-end to a tool say nmap (nmap has a
gui front-end, but lets assume that it doesn't) then, how can I make a
gui to the various commands in nmap.
There are various flags (and I could make a check box to add each) but
how to connect(communicate) with the command line.

Another example:
Suppose the windows telnet thing.
I need a gui that have an address field, port field, and a connect
button.
When I press connect it should map to
o (address) (port number)
o 192.168.1.1 23

Which programming language and libraries are to be used.
(Rapid to build)
I hope the questions are clear.
Please help.
Thank You very much.
From: Eric Sosman on
Jaseem wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My problem:
> Suppose that there is no GUI front-end to a tool say nmap (nmap has a
> gui front-end, but lets assume that it doesn't) then, how can I make a
> gui to the various commands in nmap.
> There are various flags (and I could make a check box to add each) but
> how to connect(communicate) with the command line.

Consider using a pty (but see below).

> Another example:
> Suppose the windows telnet thing.

Suppose it what? If the command-line utility you wish to
wrap is a Windows/DOS program, asking comp.*unix*.programmer
about it is silly.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid
From: Jaseem on

> > Another example:
> > Suppose the windows telnet thing.
>
>      Suppose it what?  If the command-line utility you wish to
> wrap is a Windows/DOS program, asking comp.*unix*.programmer
> about it is silly.

Thats just an example to make my question clear.
I want to built a gui for the whois command in unix.
How to map to shell commands. Any tutorials on that. Googling doesn't
give me the answers.
Thanks
From: Donkey Hottie on
"Jaseem" <jasevv(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Another example:
>>> Suppose the windows telnet thing.
>>
>> Suppose it what? If the command-line utility you wish to
>> wrap is a Windows/DOS program, asking
>> comp.*unix*.programmer about it is silly.
>
> Thats just an example to make my question clear.
> I want to built a gui for the whois command in unix.
> How to map to shell commands. Any tutorials on that.
> Googling doesn't give me the answers.
> Thanks

A command line is a string. A command line program is commanded by a string
in the command line.

You just build the string with the GUI widgets you have, and launch the
command.

Any programming language works: they all have strings, and access to
launching processes. This is a very simple task. Just pick the easiest
language for you and you are good.

From: Jaseem on
On Oct 5, 3:25 am, "Donkey Hottie" <don...(a)fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> "Jaseem" <jas...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Suppose it what? If the command-line utility you wish to
> >> wrap is a Windows/DOS program, asking
> >> comp.*unix*.programmer about it is silly.
>
> > Thats just an example to make my question clear.
> > I want to built a gui for the whois command in unix.
> > How to map to shell commands. Any tutorials on that.
> > Googling doesn't give me the answers.
> > Thanks
>
> A command line is a string. A command line program is commanded by a string
> in the command line.
>
> You just build the string with the GUI widgets you have, and launch the
> command.
>
> Any programming language works: they all have strings, and access to
> launching processes. This is a very simple task. Just pick the easiest
> language for you and you are good.

Thanks for the reply
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2