From: peter on
Hi,

I add a system data source in ODBC administraor for local sql server 2005
database successfully.
But I could not do the same thing for my local sql server 2005 express. For
the server box, I tried [local] and sqlexpress,
deselect Connect to sql server to obtain default settings for the additional
configuration options. Attach database filename: I enter in the file path
like: c:\test\test.mdf, Change the default database to: I tried to input
same as the Attach database filename or just leave it as blank. But finally
it cannot connect successfully.

I am using windows xp professional.

Thank u very much

From: John Bell on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:32:56 +1000, "peter" <petershaw8(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I add a system data source in ODBC administraor for local sql server 2005
>database successfully.
>But I could not do the same thing for my local sql server 2005 express. For
>the server box, I tried [local] and sqlexpress,
>deselect Connect to sql server to obtain default settings for the additional
>configuration options. Attach database filename: I enter in the file path
>like: c:\test\test.mdf, Change the default database to: I tried to input
>same as the Attach database filename or just leave it as blank. But finally
>it cannot connect successfully.
>
>I am using windows xp professional.
>

>Thank u very much

The default name for the SQLExpress instance is SERVERNAME\SQLEXPRESS
then SERVERNAME is the name of your server or you can use "." or
localhost.

Usually you would not need to attach the data file.

John