From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> wrote:
(snip)

> 1) A verbose way is to use sparse matrix processing, where you only
> store those values present, in a serial form, with side-to side links
> of "next index" and optionally "previous backward index" or zero if
> end of matrix dimension; and similar links for any other dimensions
> present. This and the sparse matrix processor service set, were
> actually a project requirement in my MSc. This takes a lot longer to
> process, but in some siuations, needs less memory.

When only a small fraction of the array (more general than matrix)
values are present, then yes, a list of positions and values is
space efficient. For an even smaller fraction it will be time
efficient for many operations.

It seemed that the OP case most values were present, at least
most of the time, but we don't know that for sure.

-- glen
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: VAX VMS Fortran Source