From: pjp on
Is there any api gives the type of media in a cd/dvd drive? I know one could
basically assume if it's using over 700Megs it's dvd but that seems crude
and error prone.

From: Remy Lebeau on

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message

> Is there any api gives the type of media in a cd/dvd drive?

No. The only way I know of is to use DeviceIoControl() to manually issue
SCSI commands to the drive via SPTI (NT4+ only) or ASPI (Win9x/ME) to query
the media profile that is currently active on the drive. There are plenty
of articles on MSDN on how to work with SPTI/ASPI, and you can download the
MMC specification (Multimedia Command Set) from http://www.t10.org.

Gambit

From: Alexander Grigoriev on
SPTI is only allowed to administrative accounts. You should not use it in
consumer applications, since they need to be able to run with limited user
privileges.

From: lilian on
pjp wrote:
> Is there any api gives the type of media in a cd/dvd drive? I know one could
> basically assume if it's using over 700Megs it's dvd but that seems crude
> and error prone.

Yes, there are several ones
See news://comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
for apis.
From: Remy Lebeau on

"Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> SPTI is only allowed to administrative accounts.

The CD/DVD portions of the lower-level IOCTL API do not require admin
rights, however.

Alternatively, on XP SP2+ at least, you can use IMAPI. The
IDiscRecorder2::get_CurrentProfiles() method can be used to retreive the
same media profile information.

Gambit