From: c.scheers on
Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> In article <413bccc7$0$20246$cc9e4d1f(a)news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
> "Rv!" <not.a.valid(a)email.address.ok> wrote:
>
> If you use a munged email address, it's much more friendly to have it

> end in ".invalid", as per RFC 2606. Most decent newsreaders will
> recognize the address being invalid and warn the user - so he won't
be
> sending messages to you that'll only bounce... or end up at somebody
> else's domain...
>
> > Hi all,
> > As a PC user who knows nothing about Mac systems I need
> > to reinstall the OS on an Imac, Model M5521.
>
> I've no idea what that model number might indicate. 'We' (Mac users)
are
> somewhat used to Apple's naming conventions, which totally suck when
you
> need to identify a specific model - so when I say "we're used to",
that
> means we're used to confusion about what model is what... ;).
>
> You can probably identify your iMac here:
> <http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index.html>

I am in a similar situation. I have an iMac 350 (M5521) that I think
has had something stuffed into the CDROM drive. (This came from a home
with several small children.)

Since the normal paper clip trick does not seem to be working, I need
to open this machine to get at the drive.

I can't figure out how to open it.

I have gotten the front bezel loose on the top and sides and this lets
me get to two screws on the top of the machine. (Although I can't
figure out how to get it loose on the front bottom.) I have also
gotten the two screws on the bottom of the machine.

Where do I go from here?

Thanx!

From: B Collins on
In article <1107576759.796032.174670(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"c.scheers" <chris(a)applied-synergy.com> wrote:

> Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> > In article <413bccc7$0$20246$cc9e4d1f(a)news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
> > "Rv!" <not.a.valid(a)email.address.ok> wrote:
> >
> > If you use a munged email address, it's much more friendly to have it
>
> > end in ".invalid", as per RFC 2606. Most decent newsreaders will
> > recognize the address being invalid and warn the user - so he won't
> be
> > sending messages to you that'll only bounce... or end up at somebody
> > else's domain...
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > As a PC user who knows nothing about Mac systems I need
> > > to reinstall the OS on an Imac, Model M5521.
> >
> > I've no idea what that model number might indicate. 'We' (Mac users)
> are
> > somewhat used to Apple's naming conventions, which totally suck when
> you
> > need to identify a specific model - so when I say "we're used to",
> that
> > means we're used to confusion about what model is what... ;).
> >
> > You can probably identify your iMac here:
> > <http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index.html>
>
> I am in a similar situation. I have an iMac 350 (M5521) that I think
> has had something stuffed into the CDROM drive. (This came from a home
> with several small children.)
>
> Since the normal paper clip trick does not seem to be working, I need
> to open this machine to get at the drive.
>
> I can't figure out how to open it.
>
> I have gotten the front bezel loose on the top and sides and this lets
> me get to two screws on the top of the machine. (Although I can't
> figure out how to get it loose on the front bottom.) I have also
> gotten the two screws on the bottom of the machine.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Thanx!

I've opened an iMac 350 slot load CRT model.

You open it from the BOTTOM, not the front, sides & top.

Put back together what you have taken apart.

Turn it upside down on some padding.

There are several screws -- 6 if I recall correctly -- that hold the
bottom in place. A couple of them are inside the RAM/Airport door. After
you have the screws out, you can lift the bottom off.

Now you are facing a perforated metal RF shield. It is held in place by
several small screws around the edge. Remove those, exercising care not
to drop them inside the machine. Carefully lift off the RF shield.

Now the guts of the machine are exposed, and you can remove and replace
components as desired.

Reverse the process to reassemble it.

Bill

--
To send e-mail, remove .invalid
From: Tim McNamara on
Google is yer friend:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+disassemble+iMac+350&btnG=Google+Search
From: Chris Moore on
In article <1107576759.796032.174670(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
c.scheers <chris(a)applied-synergy.com> wrote:

> I have gotten the front bezel loose on the top and sides and this lets
> me get to two screws on the top of the machine. (Although I can't
> figure out how to get it loose on the front bottom.) I have also
> gotten the two screws on the bottom of the machine.

Download your service manual which would have all the take apart
instructions and exploded views from:
http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html
From: Cathy Stevenson on
In article <050220051035317606%reply_to(a)newsgroup.INVALID>, Chris Moore
<reply_to(a)newsgroup.INVALID> wrote:

> http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

I have been unable to get the service manual links to work at this site
for weeks. I think that Apple went after them. The C.I.P. manuals
for the early iMacs do explain how to install memory, airport cards and
explain how to open the case.

Cathy.

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921(a)invalidsonic.net