From: Roy N. on
I seem to be having major permssion problems with OS X 10.1.5.

First indication of problems in when I try to mount disk images. I always
get the following error:
"file name" failed to mount due to error 192. Unknown error: 192"

Second indication of problems is in NetInfo. I'm able to Authenticate. But
then when I try to Enable Root User I get the following errors:
Net Info Error - NetInfo write failed! (Operation succeeded)
I click OK then get the message:
Alert - You must re-authenticate to make additional changes.

pages for help on resolving this problem. Below are some of the commands
I've tried with the ensuing reponses from the terminal:

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% su
su: setgroups: Operation not permitted
Password:
Sorry

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% sudo chmod 4775
/Applications/Utilities/NetInfo\ Manager.app/Contents/MacOS/NetInfo\
Manager
sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by gid 80, should be 0

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% sudo chgrp wheel /etc/sudoers
sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by gid 80, should be 0
[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% can not write to queue directory
/var/spool/clientmqueue/ (RunAsGid=25, required=80): Permission denied

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% chgrp wheel /etc/sudoers
chgrp: /etc/sudoers: Operation not permitted

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% chown root /usr/bin/su
chown: /usr/bin/su: Operation not permitted

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% sudo password root
sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by gid 80, should be 0
[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% can not write to queue directory
/var/spool/clientmqueue/ (RunAsGid=25, required=80): Permission denied

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% sudo ./chkUGM
sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by gid 80, should be 0
[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% can not
write to queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/ (RunAsGid=25,
required=80): Permission denied

[roy\032lastname\213s\032computer:~] roy% ./chkUGM
You must run this script as root (or with sudo).

I've also tried booting into single-user mode and entered the following
command sequence:
/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -uw /
chown root:wheel /usr/bin/sudo
chmod 4111 /usr/bin/sudo
chown root:daemon /var/run/sudo
chmod 700 /var/run/sudo
rm -rf /var/run/sudo/*
reboot

This did appear to work as expected. But when the computer rebooted, the
situation did not change.

Any other ideas as to how the heck I can get passed this problem? I need to
install a firmware upgrade in order to upgrade the OS. Until I get over this
permission problem I'm stuck with 10.1.5.

Thanks!!!!

From: Gnarlodious on
Entity Roy N. spoke thus:

> I seem to be having major permssion problems with OS X 10.1.5.
>
> First indication of problems in when I try to mount disk images. I always
> get the following error:
> "file name" failed to mount due to error 192. Unknown error: 192"
My strategy would be to login as root account and set ownership on all your
partitions from the /Volumes/ folder.

Looking in the error file I don't find any such error number:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Carb
onCore.framework/Versions/A/Headers/MacErrors.h

Having said that, it seems likely your hard disk needs replacing. Maybe
someone else has more insight or you should run a hardware diagnostics disk.

--
Cosmetic Justice; when the Botox gives you Mad Cow Disease
-- Gnarlodious

From: Roy N. on

"Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Entity Roy N. spoke thus:
>
> > I seem to be having major permssion problems with OS X 10.1.5.
> >
> > First indication of problems in when I try to mount disk images. I
always
> > get the following error:
> > "file name" failed to mount due to error 192. Unknown error: 192"
> My strategy would be to login as root account and set ownership on all
your
> partitions from the /Volumes/ folder.

You are assuming I know mroe about UNIX than I do. All the steps I tried
were suggestions made to others on other forums, etc. I don't know enough
about UNIX to understand all the commands, and I don't know enough to do
things without being given the exact command. So...

How do I login as root account? I tried to enable the root account from
NetInfo and that just won't work. Is there another way?

How do I set ownership on all the partitions? And what do I set them to?

> Looking in the error file I don't find any such error number:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Carb
> onCore.framework/Versions/A/Headers/MacErrors.h
>
> Having said that, it seems likely your hard disk needs replacing. Maybe
> someone else has more insight or you should run a hardware diagnostics
disk.

Hard drive diagnostic reports that everything is OK.

Anyone else got some input as to what is going on and how on earth to fix
it?

Thanks!

From: Gnarlodious on
Entity Roy N. spoke thus:

>>> I seem to be having major permssion problems with OS X 10.1.5.
10.1 was a real mess, have you considered updating?

>> My strategy would be to login as root account

> How do I login as root account? I tried to enable the root account from
> NetInfo and that just won't work. Is there another way?
Why can't you enable root account? Can you describe what goes wrong? Have
you considered updating your OS?

> How do I set ownership on all the partitions? And what do I set them to?
Fire up Terminal and paste these commands:

ls -al /

Now look for the "Volumes" line and paste that line here.

From: Dave Seaman on
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:13:06 -0800, Roy N. wrote:

> "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Entity Roy N. spoke thus:
>>
>> > I seem to be having major permssion problems with OS X 10.1.5.
>> >
>> > First indication of problems in when I try to mount disk images. I
> always
>> > get the following error:
>> > "file name" failed to mount due to error 192. Unknown error: 192"
>> My strategy would be to login as root account and set ownership on all
> your
>> partitions from the /Volumes/ folder.

It's been a while since I used 10.1.5, and it's possible I may be
suggesting something that didn't exist yet in that version of the system,
but I would try using Disk Utility or Disk Copy or whatever exists by a
similar name in your /Applications/Utilities folder. You can try various
things there such as "mount volume", "repair permissions", and so on.

> You are assuming I know mroe about UNIX than I do. All the steps I tried
> were suggestions made to others on other forums, etc. I don't know enough
> about UNIX to understand all the commands, and I don't know enough to do
> things without being given the exact command. So...

> How do I login as root account? I tried to enable the root account from
> NetInfo and that just won't work. Is there another way?

The proper way to get a root shell on the Mac is to use the sudo(1)
command, but I suggest you refrain from that unless you are comfortable
with the Unix command line, or you have a specific command to run. If
<command> represents the command you want to run as root, then you should
type

sudo <command>

on an administrator account and then type your administrator password
when asked. If you need to type several commands as root, then you
should use

sudo -s

to get a root shell, and then type a ctrl-D to exit when you no longer
need root.

> How do I set ownership on all the partitions? And what do I set them to?

There should be an option called "ignore ownership on this volume", which
is usually the default when you mount a volume for the first time.

--
Dave Seaman
Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.