From: Dave Seaman on
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:53:55 -0500, Mike Rosenberg wrote:
> Dave Seaman <dseaman(a)no.such.host> wrote:

>> For that matter, you should be able to insert your 10.1 installation disk
>> and bring up Disk Utility to do a "repair permissions".

> IIRC, that wasn't available until 10.2.

Ok, but he says he has a 10.2 install disk, so the Disk Utility on that disk
should be able to repair permissions.

--
Dave Seaman
Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.
From: Dave Seaman on
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:55:57 -0500, Mike Rosenberg wrote:
> Dave Seaman <dseaman(a)no.such.host> wrote:

>> > I've tried to upgrade to 10.2 but the installer won't run. I'm guessing
>> > it's because the permissions are messed up.
>>
>> If the 10.2 installation disk won't boot, you have something else wrong
>> with your setup than just permissions on a volume that isn't even being
>> booted from.

> It sounds like he's able to boot but then can't install. I agree that
> he has something else wrong other than permissions, though, and should
> probably run Disk Warrior before attempting anything else. And, of
> course, giving us more details other than "won't run" would help, such
> as what actually happens when he tries to run the installer.

If the 10.2 disk has booted successfully, then the installer is already
running. At that point you should be able to run Disk Utility by
selecting the appropriate menu item. Does the internal disk mount? Can
it be repaired?

Disk Warrior would be a good option, provided you can boot from the DW
disk.

Back in the installer, can the internal disk be selected as the
destination for an installation? Do you get a choice for different kinds
of installations, such as "Archive and Install" or perhaps "Erase and
Install"? The latter might be an option if you first back up your
personal files somewhere. That would cure the permissions problems.

From: Dave Seaman on
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:41:29 -0800, Roy N. wrote:

> I can't get 10.2 running. When I try to run the installer, is starts and
> then on reboot drops me right back onto the desktop for 10.1.5.

What happens if you insert the 10.2 disk, reboot, and hold down the "C"
key during boot?

Another possibility: hold down the Option key during boot and select the
CD from the on-screen menu (this works with most Macs shipped over the
last several years).

Another possibility: select the CD as your startup disk in System
Preferences. Then reboot.

Note that none of these suggestions involves trying to run the installer
before you reboot.