From: herb on
I have a NetGear wireless router hooked up to my iMac and broadband
cable modem. I never configured any software for this setup, literally
I plugged it in and it worked. I noodled around with Airport setup and
the various utilities in the Applications folder but none would let me
setup this wi-fi signal with a password.

Lately I've noticed the status lights flickering A LOT on the router
indicating airport access even when my laptop is shut off, so I assume
one of my neighbors is tapping into my wi-fi. Any suggestions how to
keep them out?

I am running Little Snitch and it doesn't tell me anything about
unauthorized access or any security issues, but I DO have a neighbor
who is a computer hacker...

any help appreciated.
From: Gnarlodious on
For starters, I would say RTFM.

And FYI, they are nt "stealing"your WiFi if it's not even password
protected.

Entity herb spoke thus:

> I have a NetGear wireless router hooked up to my iMac and broadband
> cable modem. I never configured any software for this setup, literally
> I plugged it in and it worked. I noodled around with Airport setup and
> the various utilities in the Applications folder but none would let me
> setup this wi-fi signal with a password.
Not surprising, considering Netgear has nothing in common to Aiport.

> Lately I've noticed the status lights flickering A LOT on the router
> indicating airport access even when my laptop is shut off, so I assume
> one of my neighbors is tapping into my wi-fi. Any suggestions how to
> keep them out?
It doesn't necessarily mean that and it's not even a Mac question.

> I am running Little Snitch and it doesn't tell me anything about
> unauthorized access or any security issues, but I DO have a neighbor
> who is a computer hacker...
More power to him. I suggest unplugging that Netgear...

-- Gnarlie
http://PowerMops.com/
PowerMops: Forth Programming Language for Macintosh

From: Brock.Weller@gmail.com on
Any router should be set up with encryption. Netgear is set up using a
web interface. Simply point your browser to 192.168.0.1 and follow the
directions. I'm sorry Gnarl jumped all over you.

From: Steve Hix on
In article <010320052110189286%herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com>,
herb <herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a NetGear wireless router hooked up to my iMac and broadband
> cable modem. I never configured any software for this setup, literally
> I plugged it in and it worked. I noodled around with Airport setup and
> the various utilities in the Applications folder but none would let me
> setup this wi-fi signal with a password.

Check your NetGear documentation. You can configure it from your Mac,
using a web browser. (Works fine here.)

Airport Setup only works with an AirPort router.

> Lately I've noticed the status lights flickering A LOT on the router
> indicating airport access even when my laptop is shut off, so I assume
> one of my neighbors is tapping into my wi-fi. Any suggestions how to
> keep them out?
>
> I am running Little Snitch and it doesn't tell me anything about
> unauthorized access or any security issues, but I DO have a neighbor
> who is a computer hacker...
>
> any help appreciated.

In addition to setting a password for the router, you probably ought to
also configure the router to only communicate with computers in your own
house. You can set up a list by their hardware ethernet address in the
NetGear configuration page.
From: Gnarlodious on
Entity Brock.Weller(a)gmail.com spoke thus:

> I'm sorry Gnarl jumped all over you.
OK, maybe that was inappropriate.
But when people accuse their neighbors of "stealing" their free and publicly
available radio signals it makes me realize just how much the FCC has turned
the spectrum into a commodity to be owned. It makes me angry, just like the
media conglomerates that gobble up local broadcast without obligation to
serve the public.

Obviously it's a pet peeve area of mine.

-- K5ZN
http://www.qsl.net/k5zn/