From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <mrydnVFICqfm3rrfRVn-pQ(a)speakeasy.net>,
russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

> In article <020320051709062339%cfnzrpu(a)crevtrr.arg>,
> J. Stewart <cfnzrpu(a)crevtrr.arg> wrote:
> >
> >You are responsible for the traffic in both directions via your
> >connection, telling the judge someone "borrowed" it isn't going to help
> >much.
>
> Actually, it very well might. You are not necessarily responsible for
> the traffic going through your connection. However, you're certainly
> going to be the first suspect.

And proving that you're not responsible could be stressful, time-consuming,
and expensive.
From: Geoffrey F. Green on
In article <tph-11E6B6.10433403032005(a)localhost>,
Tom Harrington <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <112ehnm28ugrb5a(a)corp.supernews.com>,
> "G.T." <getnews1(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > "Matthew Russotto" <russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net> wrote in message

> > > Putting WEP on your network is like putting a bathroom-type privacy
> > > lock on your front door. It lets people know the door's locked, and
> > > will keep them from blundering in accidentally, but that's about it.
> > >

> > I'm sorry but it's stronger than that. Nobody is going to bother cracking a
> > WEP-protected home network. Bathroom-type locks have one key that is fairly
> > easy to find.
>
> That might be, but it's only because there are so many home networks
> that don't even have WEP on. It's not hard for someone to crack WEP if
> they want to, but there's no sense bothering if they can get the same
> result without the effort. WEP doesn't make a predator lose interest,
> it just helps you to not be the slowest deer in the herd.

That's precisely my point. If you want to keep random folks from easy
jumping onto your network, WEP will do fine. It won't keep determined
folks out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it kept the OP's borrowers
off his network.

- geoff
From: Carl Witthoft on
In article <mcmurtri-607F10.21554802032005(a)corp-radius.supernews.com>,
Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:

> In article <carl-5697A8.17451102032005(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> Carl Witthoft <carl(a)witthoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Only one other responder has mentioned that it's quite possible that no
> > outside person is connecting whatsoever.
> > First of all, it's highly unlikely that someone else is carefully only
> > connecting when the OP is not logged on, so all he has to do is search
> > his network neighborhood (or equivalent) for other addresses online.
> >
> > Next, all routers "chat" continuously with the modem to send or respond
> > to connectivity queries from the ISP source. Blinking LEDs are in no
> > way exclusively an indicator of traffic from another user.
>
> Routers send maybe 5 packets every 5-60 minutes for ARP. That hardly
> keeps the lights blinking.

My router and my cable modem blink on and off at about 2Hz. YMMV
From: G.T. on

"Tom Harrington" <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote in message
> In article <112ehnm28ugrb5a(a)corp.supernews.com>,
> "G.T." <getnews1(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > "Matthew Russotto" <russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> > > In article
<geoff-usenet2-8E4033.15534602032005(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,

> > > Putting WEP on your network is like putting a bathroom-type privacy
> > > lock on your front door. It lets people know the door's locked, and
> > > will keep them from blundering in accidentally, but that's about it.
> > >

> > I'm sorry but it's stronger than that. Nobody is going to bother
cracking a
> > WEP-protected home network. Bathroom-type locks have one key that is
fairly
> > easy to find.
>
> That might be, but it's only because there are so many home networks
> that don't even have WEP on. It's not hard for someone to crack WEP if
> they want to, but there's no sense bothering if they can get the same
> result without the effort.

You need traffic. If someone wants to crack my WEP in 2 weeks so be it.
I'll still detect them because I only allow 2 192.168.1.x IPs out through my
firewall. I see one of the 2 IPs is being used and my WEP key gets changed.

Greg
--
"destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
the battles we fought were long and hard,

From: G.T. on

"Michael Vilain" <vilain(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In article <112fgknfre38ha0(a)corp.supernews.com>,
> "G.T." <getnews1(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > "Tom Harrington" <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote in message

> > <geoff-usenet2-8E4033.15534602032005(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
<marc.heusser(a)CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>

WEP

> > cracking a
> > fairly
> > >
> > > That might be, but it's only because there are so many home networks
> > > that don't even have WEP on. It's not hard for someone to crack WEP
if
> > > they want to, but there's no sense bothering if they can get the same
> > > result without the effort.
> >
> > You need traffic. If someone wants to crack my WEP in 2 weeks so be it.
> > I'll still detect them because I only allow 2 192.168.1.x IPs out
through my
> > firewall. I see one of the 2 IPs is being used and my WEP key gets
changed.

> > Greg
>
> But in order to break the encryption, all they need to do is sniff the
> packets passively. They don't need to sign-on to your network. Once
> they have the encryption key, all traffic is in the open. Hope you only
> deal with SSL web sites when providing information as the unencrypted
> packets are broadcast to anyone listening who's got your encryption key.
> Totally untraceable.

How long do they need to passively sniff my few megabits a day to crack my
WEP key?

How many opportunities are there between my router and the destination site
to sniff my communications?

How many Windows and IE users have keystroke loggers downloaded to their
systems everyday due to stealth malware?

Cable networks were WAY less secure than my home wireless network, don't
know if they still are.

I'll take my chances with my current setup.

Greg