From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <010320052110189286%herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com>,
herb <herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a NetGear wireless router hooked up to my iMac and broadband
> cable modem. I never configured any software for this setup, literally
> I plugged it in and it worked. I noodled around with Airport setup and
> the various utilities in the Applications folder but none would let me
> setup this wi-fi signal with a password.
>
> Lately I've noticed the status lights flickering A LOT on the router
> indicating airport access even when my laptop is shut off, so I assume
> one of my neighbors is tapping into my wi-fi. Any suggestions how to
> keep them out?
>
> I am running Little Snitch and it doesn't tell me anything about
> unauthorized access or any security issues, but I DO have a neighbor
> who is a computer hacker...
>
> any help appreciated.

Congratulations. You're another cablemodem fool that's helping spammers
and hackers. You should have read the Netgear's instructions.

Snitch/tcpdump won't tell you anything. Routers send data only where it
needs to go. You can't see other traffic from a leaf connection.
From: David Pennington on
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:31:42 -0800, Steve Hix
<sehix(a)NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

>In article <010320052110189286%herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com>,
> herb <herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a NetGear wireless router hooked up to my iMac and broadband
>> cable modem. I never configured any software for this setup, literally
>> I plugged it in and it worked. I noodled around with Airport setup and
>> the various utilities in the Applications folder but none would let me
>> setup this wi-fi signal with a password.
>
>Check your NetGear documentation. You can configure it from your Mac,
>using a web browser. (Works fine here.)
>
>Airport Setup only works with an AirPort router.
>
>> Lately I've noticed the status lights flickering A LOT on the router
>> indicating airport access even when my laptop is shut off, so I assume
>> one of my neighbors is tapping into my wi-fi. Any suggestions how to
>> keep them out?
>>
>> I am running Little Snitch and it doesn't tell me anything about
>> unauthorized access or any security issues, but I DO have a neighbor
>> who is a computer hacker...
>>
>> any help appreciated.
>
>In addition to setting a password for the router, you probably ought to
>also configure the router to only communicate with computers in your own
>house. You can set up a list by their hardware ethernet address in the
>NetGear configuration page.
Don't forget tat ypu will probably have to enter the hex wifi password
into your Mac with a $ in front to tell it it is getting hex. If you
don't do that it won't understand the password and it won't work.

Hex is the 'DD AA 5B' etc. gibberish that the router wants as a
security key.

David
From: SRMoll on

"Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> For starters, I would say RTFM.

<Snipped out content>

> > I am running Little Snitch and it doesn't tell me anything about
> > unauthorized access or any security issues, but I DO have a neighbor
> > who is a computer hacker...
> More power to him. I suggest unplugging that Netgear...

Let's hope your "hacker" neighbour hasn't set his own paswords on *your*
router!

I know its easy to see in hindsight, but you have to admit this was all a
little bit foolish.

From: gutts on
herb <herb793(a)nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a NetGear wireless router

look up the netgear website for the support section, and then read the
instructions how to activate WEP at the very least. In netgear routers,
you can also allow only certain MAC addresses access to your router -
your iMac will have a MAC address (nothing to do with it being a Mac
btw) which can be found in

System Preferences:Network:Ethernet:Ethernet ID

or

System Preferences:Network:Airport:Airport ID

if you're connecting wirelessly.

From: SRMoll on

"M-M" <nospam(a)ny.more> wrote in message
> In article <4225894c$1_1(a)baen1673807.greenlnk.net>,
> "SRMoll" <stephen.no.spam.please.moll(a)amsjv.no.spam.please.com> wrote:
>
> > Let's hope your "hacker" neighbour hasn't set his own paswords on *your*
> > router!
>
> You would then simply push the reset button on your router.
>
> m-m

Ah! But he hasn't read the manual, and it might not simply be a matter of
pushing a button.