From: Matthew Russotto on
In article <geoff-usenet2-8E4033.15534602032005(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Geoffrey F. Green <geoff-usenet2(a)stuebegreen.com> wrote:
>In article <marc.heusser-03ADB0.19495402032005(a)idnews.unizh.ch>,
> Marc Heusser <marc.heusser(a)CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>Although if the issue is just unauthorized folks glomming onto his
>network, it's much better than nothing. Particularly in a
>multiple-unit building like where I live; there are several open
>wireless networks broadcasting SSIDs, so anyone who wants to join a
>network would access one of the others before trying to crack my WEP
>encryption.

Putting WEP on your network is like putting a bathroom-type privacy
lock on your front door. It lets people know the door's locked, and
will keep them from blundering in accidentally, but that's about it.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
From: Matthew Russotto on
In article <020320051709062339%cfnzrpu(a)crevtrr.arg>,
J. Stewart <cfnzrpu(a)crevtrr.arg> wrote:

>You are responsible for the traffic in both directions via your
>connection, telling the judge someone "borrowed" it isn't going to help
>much.

Actually, it very well might. You are not necessarily responsible for
the traffic going through your connection. However, you're certainly
going to be the first suspect.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
From: G.T. on

"Matthew Russotto" <russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> In article <geoff-usenet2-8E4033.15534602032005(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> Geoffrey F. Green <geoff-usenet2(a)stuebegreen.com> wrote:
> >In article <marc.heusser-03ADB0.19495402032005(a)idnews.unizh.ch>,
> > Marc Heusser <marc.heusser(a)CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
> > wrote:
> >
> >Although if the issue is just unauthorized folks glomming onto his
> >network, it's much better than nothing. Particularly in a
> >multiple-unit building like where I live; there are several open
> >wireless networks broadcasting SSIDs, so anyone who wants to join a
> >network would access one of the others before trying to crack my WEP
> >encryption.
>
> Putting WEP on your network is like putting a bathroom-type privacy
> lock on your front door. It lets people know the door's locked, and
> will keep them from blundering in accidentally, but that's about it.

I'm sorry but it's stronger than that. Nobody is going to bother cracking a
WEP-protected home network. Bathroom-type locks have one key that is fairly
easy to find.

GT

From: Matthew Russotto on
In article <112ehnm28ugrb5a(a)corp.supernews.com>,
G.T. <getnews1(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:

>> Putting WEP on your network is like putting a bathroom-type privacy
>> lock on your front door. It lets people know the door's locked, and
>> will keep them from blundering in accidentally, but that's about it.
>>

>I'm sorry but it's stronger than that. Nobody is going to bother cracking a
>WEP-protected home network. Bathroom-type locks have one key that is fairly
>easy to find.

All right, then, a Kwikset key-in-knob lock with 3 of the pins removed.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
From: Tom Harrington on
In article <112ehnm28ugrb5a(a)corp.supernews.com>,
"G.T." <getnews1(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:

> "Matthew Russotto" <russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> > In article <geoff-usenet2-8E4033.15534602032005(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> > Geoffrey F. Green <geoff-usenet2(a)stuebegreen.com> wrote:
> > >In article <marc.heusser-03ADB0.19495402032005(a)idnews.unizh.ch>,
> > > Marc Heusser <marc.heusser(a)CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >Although if the issue is just unauthorized folks glomming onto his
> > >network, it's much better than nothing. Particularly in a
> > >multiple-unit building like where I live; there are several open
> > >wireless networks broadcasting SSIDs, so anyone who wants to join a
> > >network would access one of the others before trying to crack my WEP
> > >encryption.
> >
> > Putting WEP on your network is like putting a bathroom-type privacy
> > lock on your front door. It lets people know the door's locked, and
> > will keep them from blundering in accidentally, but that's about it.
> >

> I'm sorry but it's stronger than that. Nobody is going to bother cracking a
> WEP-protected home network. Bathroom-type locks have one key that is fairly
> easy to find.

That might be, but it's only because there are so many home networks
that don't even have WEP on. It's not hard for someone to crack WEP if
they want to, but there's no sense bothering if they can get the same
result without the effort. WEP doesn't make a predator lose interest,
it just helps you to not be the slowest deer in the herd.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.