From: Harry Tucker on
On May 7, 3:33 am, resander <kresan...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed (by doinstall) the latest version of free GNAT GPL from
> Libre into directory /usr/gnat/bin. After install this contains:
>
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:/usr/gnat/bin$ ls
> addr2line  gdb        gnathtml.pl  gnatprep         gprof
> c++        gdbserver  gnatkr       gnatstub         gps
> cbrowser   gnat       gnatlink     gnatxref         gps_exe
> cpp        gnatbind   gnatls       gprbuild         i686-pc-linux-gnu-c
> ++
> dbimp      gnatcheck  gnatmake     gprbuild_debug   i686-pc-linux-gnu-g
> ++
> g++        gnatchop   gnatmem      gprclean         i686-pc-linux-gnu-
> gcc
> gcc        gnatclean  gnatmetric   gprclean_debug   i686-pc-linux-gnu-
> gcc-4.3.4
> gccbug     gnatelim   gnatname     gprconfig        objdump
> gcov       gnatfind   gnatpp       gprconfig_debug
>
> I added /usr/gnat/bin to the (Ubuntu 10.04) bashrc startup script of
> the user 'ken' from which I want to use GPS. The echo command
>
> echo $PATH
> /usr/gnat/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/
> bin:/usr/games
>
> issued after login to 'ken' shows that /usr/gnat/bin is on the path.
>
> gnatmake works from the command line for a small test program main.adb
> in adatestproj directory:
>
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:/home$ ls
> ken  kr  lost+found  meijin
>
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:/home$ cd ken
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:~$ ls
> adatestproj Documents  Music Videos...
>
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:~$ cd adatestproj
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:~/adatestproj$ ls
> main.adb main.gpr
> ken(a)meijin-desktop:~/adatestproj$ gnatmake main.adb
> gcc -c main.adb
> gnatbind -x main.ali
> gnatlink main.ali
>
> but from GPS 'Could not locate executable on path: gnatmake' appears
> when I request compile file from adaptestproj directory.
>
> I cannot see what is wrong. Would be grateful for advice.

Try looking at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables
and the section on persistent environment variables.
From: Harry Tucker on
On May 7, 8:05 am, Harry Tucker <harry.tuc...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On May 7, 3:33 am, resander <kresan...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I installed (by doinstall) the latest version of free GNAT GPL from
> > Libre into directory /usr/gnat/bin. After install this contains:
>
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:/usr/gnat/bin$ ls
> > addr2line  gdb        gnathtml.pl  gnatprep         gprof
> > c++        gdbserver  gnatkr       gnatstub         gps
> > cbrowser   gnat       gnatlink     gnatxref         gps_exe
> > cpp        gnatbind   gnatls       gprbuild         i686-pc-linux-gnu-c
> > ++
> > dbimp      gnatcheck  gnatmake     gprbuild_debug   i686-pc-linux-gnu-g
> > ++
> > g++        gnatchop   gnatmem      gprclean         i686-pc-linux-gnu-
> > gcc
> > gcc        gnatclean  gnatmetric   gprclean_debug   i686-pc-linux-gnu-
> > gcc-4.3.4
> > gccbug     gnatelim   gnatname     gprconfig        objdump
> > gcov       gnatfind   gnatpp       gprconfig_debug
>
> > I added /usr/gnat/bin to the (Ubuntu 10.04) bashrc startup script of
> > the user 'ken' from which I want to use GPS. The echo command
>
> > echo $PATH
> > /usr/gnat/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/
> > bin:/usr/games
>
> > issued after login to 'ken' shows that /usr/gnat/bin is on the path.
>
> > gnatmake works from the command line for a small test program main.adb
> > in adatestproj directory:
>
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:/home$ ls
> > ken  kr  lost+found  meijin
>
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:/home$ cd ken
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:~$ ls
> > adatestproj Documents  Music Videos...
>
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:~$ cd adatestproj
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:~/adatestproj$ ls
> > main.adb main.gpr
> > ken(a)meijin-desktop:~/adatestproj$ gnatmake main.adb
> > gcc -c main.adb
> > gnatbind -x main.ali
> > gnatlink main.ali
>
> > but from GPS 'Could not locate executable on path: gnatmake' appears
> > when I request compile file from adaptestproj directory.
>
> > I cannot see what is wrong. Would be grateful for advice.
>
> Try looking athttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables
> and the section on persistent environment variables.

Opps see the section after that on system-wide environment variables.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Gautier write-only writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> [...]
>> Or, simply upgrade to Debian :)
>
> I knew it! It had to happen!

That's because each time I see someone with $PATH or similar
installation problems, I just smile. For me, everything works right out
of the box. No fuss, no muss.

You made me smile, too :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: resander on
On May 7, 4:47 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Gautier write-only writes on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Or, simply upgrade to Debian :)
>
> > I knew it! It had to happen!
>
> That's because each time I see someone with $PATH or similar
> installation problems, I just smile.  For me, everything works right out
> of the box.  No fuss, no muss.
>
> You made me smile, too :)
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

My addition to the end of the bashrc startup file is:

# the line below is for GNAT GPL Ada
PATH=/usr/gnat/bin:$PATH; export PATH

After execution of bashrc on entry to ken (where I want to develop
programs) the PATH is:

/usr/gnat/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/
bin:/usr/games

Compiler works when I start GPS from the command line (as Ludovic
Brenta Georg Bauhaus predicted), and again as I mentioned before it
does not work when invoked from the gui menu.

BUT

I have just installed GNAP GPL in usr/local and found that GPS
compilation works when GPS is invoked from the gui menu. I would have
expected this to have failed in the same way as above.

So I can just delete the /usr/gnat install directory and remember to
always install into /usr/local and that would be the end of the
problem, but I would like to understand this better.

The GNAT content of /usr/local/bin and /usr/gnat/bin are identical
after installation and yet only one worked.

Could it be that GPS code has the path /usr/local/bin hardwired or is /
usr/local/bin special in some other way?

From: Ludovic Brenta on
resander writes:
> Could it be that GPS code has the path /usr/local/bin hardwired or is /
> usr/local/bin special in some other way?

I cannot speak for Ubuntu but on Debian, /usr/local/bin is special in
that it is in the $PATH by default wheread /usr/gnat/bin is not. See
the system-wide /etc/profile which is the same for all users.

--
Ludovic Brenta.