From: Stephen Leake on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> On Fri, 7 May 2010 01:33:49 -0700 (PDT), resander wrote:
>
>> but from GPS 'Could not locate executable on path: gnatmake' appears
>> when I request compile file from adaptestproj directory.
>>
>> I cannot see what is wrong. Would be grateful for advice.
>
> When PATH is correct, check if the project file *.gpr specifies gnat tools.
> E.g. stuff like
>
> for Gnatlist use "i586-wrs-vxworks-gnatls";
> for Gnat use "i586-wrs-vxworks-gnat";
> for Compiler_Command ("ada") use "i586-wrs-vxworks-gnatmake";
> for Debugger_Command use "i586-wrs-vxworks6-gdb";
>
> (which would not work under Linux)
>
> BTW, never edit project files using GPS GUI. Use gedit, vi, ... sed (:-))

Or just GPS file editor; just avoid the GPS project wizard.

--
-- Stephe
From: Britt Snodgrass on
On May 8, 12:43 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> > BTW, never edit project files using GPS GUI. Use gedit, vi, ... sed (:-))
>
> Or just GPS file editor; just avoid the GPS project wizard.

Yes, I also prefer to use GPS's file editor because it helps to flag
syntax errors in gpr files and I can see the package list in GPS's
outline view.

I avoid the specialized project properties editor/GUI/wizard because
it seems to create extraneous case statements in every project file
package, for each scenario variable, even when the case selections are
the same. This can make the gpr file five times longer and much
harder to maintain. It also used to write the case selections in
reverse alphabetical order but I think that has been fixed.

- Britt

From: resander on
On May 8, 5:25 pm, Britt Snodgrass <britt.snodgr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 12:43 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
> wrote:
>
> > "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
> > > BTW, never edit project files using GPS GUI. Use gedit, vi, ... sed (:-))
>
> > Or just GPS file editor; just avoid the GPS project wizard.
>
> Yes, I also prefer to use GPS's file editor because it helps to flag
> syntax errors in gpr files and I can see the package list in GPS's
> outline view.
>
> I avoid the specialized project properties editor/GUI/wizard because
> it seems to create extraneous case statements in every project file
> package, for each scenario variable, even when the case selections are
> the same.  This can make the gpr file five times longer and much
> harder to maintain.  It also used to write the case selections in
> reverse alphabetical order but I think that has been fixed.
>
> - Britt

Yesterday afternoon I installed into /usr/local and found that GPS
could be invoked from the GUI menu on Ubuntu 10.04. I then closed the
system.
This morning (Saturday) I found that about half the functions on the
Ubuntu menu had stopped working, for example all items on the Places
menu (generally file and directory inspection functions), Software
Sources, Synaptic Manager, Update Manager, system Monitor and more. I
invoked some of these from the command line and always got error
'cannot find libstdc.6.so version so-and-so in usr/local/lib'.
Even the apt functions got clobbered by the same condition, so I had
no way of reinstalling any package. Had to reinstall Ubuntu 10.04.

The install of GNAT GPL into a /usr/local that I did as last thing
yesterday is a likely culprit. but I am not pointing a finger.

I am using the codeblocks IDE (C/C++, but no Ada) which provides
updates via the Universe repositories in Ubuntu. To get updates a user
only puts repository details into etc/apt/source.list and sets
authentication data in a keyring. Then the updates arrive as normal
Ubuntu updates. An update takes a minute or two and then a user can
reenter the updated codeblocks IDE without having to lift a finger.
Very simple, convenient and foolproof.

Can GNAT GPL with GPS be updated in a similar fashion for Ubuntu (and
maybe others too)? Most users from the Windows world, myself included,
expect this operation to be simple.
From: resander on

From: Ludovic Brenta on
resander <kresander(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> Yesterday afternoon I installed into /usr/local and found that GPS
> could be invoked from the GUI menu on Ubuntu 10.04. I then closed the
> system.
> This morning (Saturday) I found that about half the functions on the
> Ubuntu menu had stopped working, for example all items on the Places
> menu (generally file and directory inspection functions), Software
> Sources, Synaptic Manager, Update Manager, system Monitor and more. I
> invoked some of these from the command line and always got error
> 'cannot find libstdc.6.so version so-and-so in usr/local/lib'.
> Even the apt functions got clobbered by the same condition, so I had
> no way of reinstalling any package. Had to reinstall Ubuntu 10.04.
> The install of GNAT GPL into a /usr/local that I did as last thing
> yesterday is a likely culprit. but I am not pointing a finger.

I'm quite certain there was a simpler way to address the problem. I do
not think that installing GNAT in /usr/local was the culprit; rather,
the culprit might have been a clobbered system-wide LD_LIBRARY_PATH (as
opposed to a user-specific one) containing an old version of
libstdc++.so.6.

> I am using the codeblocks IDE (C/C++, but no Ada) which provides
> updates via the Universe repositories in Ubuntu. To get updates a user
> only puts repository details into etc/apt/source.list and sets
> authentication data in a keyring. Then the updates arrive as normal
> Ubuntu updates. An update takes a minute or two and then a user can
> reenter the updated codeblocks IDE without having to lift a finger.
> Very simple, convenient and foolproof.
>
> Can GNAT GPL with GPS be updated in a similar fashion for Ubuntu (and
> maybe others too)? Most users from the Windows world, myself included,
> expect this operation to be simple.

You are getting near the conclusion and solution that I gave you
already. If you can reinstall Ubuntu, you might as well install Debian
which is the source of Ubuntu. Then install the package gnat-gps and
there you go. As I said earlier: no fuss, no muss. It works right out
of the box.

--
Ludovic Brenta.