From: GettingByOk on
Hi,

My drive became completely inaccessible for a long time after your
suggestion so I couldn't try it.

I just tried it and there is no Optimize for Performance (I'm running XP
SP2) but there is a check box saying Enable Write Caching -- but it's already
unchecked. The drive seems to work now, I moved it from SATA 4 to SATA 5.
Guess I'll have to keep playing around with it......

Thanks again, and any other suggestions welcome (until this Newsgroup closes
:( )
Robert

"LVTravel" wrote:

> "GettingByOk" <GettingByOk(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.
> >
> > "GettingByOk" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just installed an eSATA as a backup drive. I use Windows Standby a lot,
> >> works really well for a long time before needing to do a restart.
> >>
> >> I'd like to shut off the eSATA so it's not running all the time and
> >> wasting
> >> electricity. But if I put my machine on Standby and turn off the eSATA
> >> then I
> >> get an error when I power on the eSATA. It's a cryptic error but has the
> >> string MFT$ in it so it appears to be a Master File Table corruption, and
> >> the
> >> drive becomes inaccessible.
> >>
> >> The actual message says a delayed write to the drive failed and says
> >> something about an MFT error.
> >>
> >> To correct that, I need to do a cold shutdown of my computer and restart
> >> it.
> >> I power down and restart the eSATA drive as well. Seems to fix itself
> >> (almost). I'll get an error that the Recycle Bin is corrupted on the
> >> drive
> >> and Windows deletes and rebuilds it.
> >>
> >> Is there a way I can force Windows to do the delayed write before putting
> >> the system on Standby so I don't have to keep the drive on all the time?
> >> Ideally automatically, of course.
> >>
> >> Is there a safe way to power off the drive before I put Windows on
> >> Standby?
> >>
> >> It's inconvenient to do a cold shutdown all the time but I don't want to
> >> keep the eSATA powered on all the time either if I can avoid it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Robert
>
> By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer. It may be
> noticeable and maybe not.
>
> Try this: Right click My Computer. Left click Device Manager. Click the +
> by Disk drives to open that listing. Find your drive and right click on
> it's name. Left click on Properties. Click Policies tab. Turn off the
> Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
> available.) OK out and you should not have the issue again.
>
> What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and forces
> the computer to write immediately to a drive. The write cache writes to the
> drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
> the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes full.
> With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to the
> drive even though it is busy.
>
> Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.
>
> .

Pages: 1
Prev: hardware failure
Next: Better keyboard wanted.