From: Frank Martin on
I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
"hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.

The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain depth
before the stroke registered and I want this type again.

Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
and where they can be bought?

Frank

From: VanguardLH on
Frank Martin wrote:

> I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
> "hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
> even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>
> The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain depth
> before the stroke registered and I want this type again.
>
> Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
> and where they can be bought?
>
> Frank

Best is to visit an actual store with displays of keyboards that you can
feel for yourself how they behave.

The old Northgate company is gone that built strong keyboards (no flex,
keys took a lot of punishment). You could bang on the old Northgate
Omnikey Ultra keyboards repeatedly with your fist. At most, maybe a
keycap popped off but you could just snap it back on. Of course, that's
back when keyboards cost way over a hundred bucks rather than the cheap
$5 to $30 models commonly available now. While Northgate disappeared a
long time ago, Creative Vision Technologies resurrected the Northgate
keyboard in their Avant Stellar model (at $189).

http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm
http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/comparison.htm

Ruggedized keyboards still cost a lot.
From: Frank Martin on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> Frank Martin wrote:
>
>> I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
>> "hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is
>> registered
>> even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>>
>> The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain
>> depth
>> before the stroke registered and I want this type again.
>>
>> Can someone advise me what these latter boards are
>> called,
>> and where they can be bought?
>>
>> Frank
>
> Best is to visit an actual store with displays of
> keyboards that you can
> feel for yourself how they behave.
>
> The old Northgate company is gone that built strong
> keyboards (no flex,
> keys took a lot of punishment). You could bang on the old
> Northgate
> Omnikey Ultra keyboards repeatedly with your fist. At
> most, maybe a
> keycap popped off but you could just snap it back on. Of
> course, that's
> back when keyboards cost way over a hundred bucks rather
> than the cheap
> $5 to $30 models commonly available now. While Northgate
> disappeared a
> long time ago, Creative Vision Technologies resurrected
> the Northgate
> keyboard in their Avant Stellar model (at $189).
>
> http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm
> http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/comparison.htm
>
> Ruggedized keyboards still cost a lot.

Thanks, I'll look into this. My favourite from the old
days was a NEC keyboard, but it died after succumbing to too
many coffee floods and congealed breadcrumbs. None have
ever been as good as this one.

From: Twayne on
In news:e38qwkUALHA.4652(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Frank Martin <fm(a)general.com.au> typed:
> I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
> "hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
> even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>
> The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain depth
> before the stroke registered and I want this type again.
>
> Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
> and where they can be bought?
>
> Frank

Try Adesso or Cherry keyboards; both make excellent, old style long-life
mechanical switch keyboards. If you use it a lot, Adesso tends to lose it
key printing, but Cherry works great. Lost of choices/prices available from
both. Both, among many others, make professional keyboards. I have two each
of the programmable types. I like Adesso the best since I touch-type, but
the lettering wears off on them where no other brand 've found has that
problem. They silk-screen instead of burn the lettering onto the keys.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: joterstholi on
Frank Martin wrote:
>I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
>"hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
>even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>
>The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain depth
>before the stroke registered and I want this type again.
>
>Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
>and where they can be bought?
>
>Frank

I agree with the previous comment-----I bought several keyboards without
trying them out and they were quickly discarded-----I now use a Microsoft
Wired 500 which has a very good feel to the touch to the keys is rugged with
just enough extra keys to be useful and is supported by the Micosoft
Intellitype software that can be downloaded for free.Working in a computer
shop as I do we sell and recommend Logitech and in many years have never has
a single complaint or return