From: yuppicide on
Has anyone had an Adesso or Cherry and calculated the cost of how much the
keyboard is, how long it lasts and compared it to say if I bought a cheaper
keyboard and replaced it more often?

Does either of them make anything wireless? We moved at work a few years ago
and the owners bought desks without thinking what side of the desk the
computer should be on. I'm stuck with the computer on the left, thus the
wire goes across my big feet and I kick it off sometimes. The company won't
pay for anything, so I brought my $70 Logitech G7 mouse from home to use.

Have been wanting a keyboard also. Currently using a $9.99 wireless keyboard
I got at Rite-Aid little over a year ago and it needs replacing soon.

From: Twayne on
In news:%23pdZCunALHA.5476(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
yuppicide <nosir(a)nosir.com> typed:
> Has anyone had an Adesso or Cherry and calculated the cost
> of how much the keyboard is, how long it lasts and compared
> it to say if I bought a cheaper keyboard and replaced it
> more often?
> Does either of them make anything wireless? We moved at
> work a few years ago and the owners bought desks without
> thinking what side of the desk the computer should be on.
> I'm stuck with the computer on the left, thus the wire goes
> across my big feet and I kick it off sometimes. The company
> won't pay for anything, so I brought my $70 Logitech G7
> mouse from home to use.
> Have been wanting a keyboard also. Currently using a $9.99
> wireless keyboard I got at Rite-Aid little over a year ago
> and it needs replacing soon.
> "Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> In news:e38qwkUALHA.4652(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
>> Frank Martin <fm(a)general.com.au> typed:
>>> I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
>>> "hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
>>> even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>>>
>>> The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain
>>> depth before the stroke registered and I want this type
>>> again. Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
>>> and where they can be bought?
>>>
>>> Frank
>>
>> Try Adesso or Cherry keyboards; both make excellent, old
>> style long-life mechanical switch keyboards. If you use it
>> a lot, Adesso tends to lose it key printing, but Cherry
>> works great. Lost of choices/prices available from both.
>> Both, among many others, make professional keyboards. I
>> have two each of the programmable types. I like Adesso the
>> best since I touch-type, but the lettering wears off on
>> them where no other brand 've found has that problem. They
>> silk-screen instead of burn the lettering onto the keys. HTH,
>>
>> Twayne`

All 3 of them are still working fine with the exception of the worn key
printing on the Adesso's. About 5, 3, and 2 years old resp, Adesso & Cherry.
Remember, these are made for commercial use, not reisdential and so are
going to be reasonably robust.

From: Brian on
It sounds as if, like me, you have been remembering the old IBM Model M
keyboards. Solid. metal not plastic, fewer typos. Last year, some advice
I got in this list led me here.

http://www.dansdata.com/clicky2.htm

To cut the story short, I bought one of these from Unicomp, and I
haven't looked back.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html

It's a bit bigger than normal, and heavy because it's made of metal, but
the typing experience is so much better.

From: Antares 531 on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:13:29 +1000, "Frank Martin" <fm(a)general.com.au>
wrote:

>I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
>"hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
>even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>
>The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain depth
>before the stroke registered and I want this type again.
>
>Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
>and where they can be bought?
>
>Frank

I've been through the same thing. I would like very much to find a new
keyboard like my old Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro that I bought a
few years back, but I can not locate anything close to this. I like
the large size...fits my large hands...and the raised, curved shape.
Does anyone have any leads as to where I might find a keyboard like
this old one?
From: James Silverton on
Antares wrote on Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:00:34 -0500:

>> I have tried many keyboards and they all have the
>> "hair-trigger" problem, which is a keystroke is registered
>> even when adjacent keys are skimmed or brushed.
>>
>> The old keyboards had to be pressed down to a certain depth
>> before the stroke registered and I want this type again.
>>
>> Can someone advise me what these latter boards are called,
>> and where they can be bought?
>>
>> Frank
>>

>I've been through the same thing. I would like very much to find a new
>keyboard like my old Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro that I bought a
>few years back, but I can not locate anything close to this. I like
>the large size...fits my large hands...and the raised, curved shape.
>Does anyone have any leads as to where I might find a keyboard like
>this old one?

What I'd like is a wireless keyboard and mouse whose batteries lasted
longer than a few weeks, used 10 hours a day. Logitech used to make a
system but they discontinued it. The mouse had a recharging stand and
the 4 batteries in the keyboard lasted for months.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland