From: Peng Yu on
On May 31, 10:25 pm, Jürgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Peng Yu <pengyu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >It seems that the int(rand(10)) generate random with replacement. I'm
> >wondering how to generate random number without replacement in perl.
>
> Could you please explain what you mean by "with/without replacement"?
> A number is a number, it doesn't replace anything....

These are standard concepts in statistics. Please see the following
webpage for the explanations on sampling 'with/without replacement'.

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/parker/sampling/repl.htm
From: J�rgen Exner on
Peng Yu <pengyu.ut(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 31, 10:25�pm, J�rgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Peng Yu <pengyu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >It seems that the int(rand(10)) generate random with replacement. I'm
>> >wondering how to generate random number without replacement in perl.
>>
>> Could you please explain what you mean by "with/without replacement"?
>> A number is a number, it doesn't replace anything....
>
>These are standard concepts in statistics. Please see the following
>webpage for the explanations on sampling 'with/without replacement'.
>
>http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/parker/sampling/repl.htm

Ok. For those like me not familiar with this term: he means random
numbers with and without repetition.

jue
From: Uri Guttman on

JE> Peng Yu <pengyu.ut(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you please explain what you mean by "with/without replacement"?
>>> A number is a number, it doesn't replace anything....
>>
>> These are standard concepts in statistics. Please see the following
>> webpage for the explanations on sampling 'with/without replacement'.
>>
>> http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/parker/sampling/repl.htm

JE> Ok. For those like me not familiar with this term: he means random
JE> numbers with and without repetition.

and i told him how to do it. i won't tell him again. it is a simple
problem and hashes solve it.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri(a)stemsystems.com -------- http://www.sysarch.com --
From: Peng Yu on
On Jun 1, 12:03 am, "Uri Guttman" <u...(a)StemSystems.com> wrote:

>   JE> Peng Yu <pengyu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>   >> On May 31, 10:25 pm, Jürgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>   >>> Peng Yu <pengyu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>   >>> >It seems that the int(rand(10)) generate random with replacement.. I'm
>   >>> >wondering how to generate random number without replacement in perl.
>   >>>
>   >>> Could you please explain what you mean by "with/without replacement"?
>   >>> A number is a number, it doesn't replace anything....
>   >>
>   >> These are standard concepts in statistics. Please see the following
>   >> webpage for the explanations on sampling 'with/without replacement'.
>   >>
>   >>http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/parker/sampling/repl.htm
>
>   JE> Ok. For those like me not familiar with this term: he means random
>   JE> numbers with and without repetition.
>
> and i told him how to do it. i won't tell him again. it is a simple
> problem and hashes solve it.

What do you mean? I didn't ask you to tell me again.

But I feel sorry that perl doesn't provide such a function out of the
box.
From: Uri Guttman on

PY> On Jun 1, 12:03�am, "Uri Guttman" <u...(a)StemSystems.com> wrote:

>> � JE> Ok. For those like me not familiar with this term: he means random
>> � JE> numbers with and without repetition.
>>
>> and i told him how to do it. i won't tell him again. it is a simple
>> problem and hashes solve it.

PY> What do you mean? I didn't ask you to tell me again.

i told you how to do it. either you didn't read it or you didn't get the
solution.

PY> But I feel sorry that perl doesn't provide such a function out of the
PY> box.

i feel sorry for you that you can't code this up in 5 minutes. it is
trivial to do as i outlined. name another lang that has this built in.
it isn't needed as it is easily made from a hash and a loop and calls to
rand. this is about 2 lines of code and possibly 1 line. here, i will
code it up on the fly and possibly even get it right. i leave making
into a sub as your exercise.

my %seen ;
while( 1 ) { $x = int rand( 100_000_000 ) ; $seen{$x} and next ;
$seen{$x} = 1; print $x }

oops, it wrapped into 3 lines.

was that too complex? it will print numbers until it runs out of
them. no duplicates. make it a for loop to control the number of
prints. can you handle that? do you feel sorry for perl now? show me
another lang that could do that as easily.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri(a)stemsystems.com -------- http://www.sysarch.com --