From: Harold Fuchs on

"Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message
> Harold Fuchs wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I can't answer for Charly, only for myself, but I find it quite
>>> convenient
>>> to be able to get on the net on my Palm T|X when I wake up in the middle
>>> of
>>> the night and want to find something out quick without getting up and
>>> sitting down at a computer. I can reach over to the nightstand, fire up
>>> the Palm and be reading my gmail before I could even get to the
>>> computer.
>>>

>> Hmm. OK, that sounds reasonable. I always switch my computer off at night
>> Or I could use Wi-Fi (iPod Touch) via my router, which stays on at night
>> but doesn't rely on the computer itself.
>
> I use WiFi on my T|X at home, of course.
>
> I was in a hotel once where I had WiFi on my laptop but not on the
> Palm, since WiFi access wasn't free. So PPP via Bluetooth through
> the laptop was the solution.

Again, why not just use the laptop? A lot less fiddly ...

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

From: Mark Olson on
Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message
>> Harold Fuchs wrote:
>>>
>>> "Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Hmm. OK, that sounds reasonable. I always switch my computer off at
>>> night ...
>>> Or I could use Wi-Fi (iPod Touch) via my router, which stays on at
>>> night but doesn't rely on the computer itself.
>>
>> I use WiFi on my T|X at home, of course.
>>
>> I was in a hotel once where I had WiFi on my laptop but not on the
>> Palm, since WiFi access wasn't free. So PPP via Bluetooth through
>> the laptop was the solution.
>>

> Again, why not just use the laptop? A lot less fiddly ...

I'm lying in bed, reading an ebook on my Palm. I decide I want to check
my email quickly, but I don't want to get out of the nice warm bed, so
I push a few buttons on the device I am already holding and voila.

The alternative is to get out of bed and sit at a desk.

Do you understand now?

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Mark Olson wrote:
> Harold Fuchs wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Olson" <olsonm(a)tiny.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I use WiFi on my T|X at home, of course.
>>>
>>> I was in a hotel once where I had WiFi on my laptop but not on the
>>> Palm, since WiFi access wasn't free. So PPP via Bluetooth through
>>> the laptop was the solution.
>>>

>> Again, why not just use the laptop? A lot less fiddly ...
>
> I'm lying in bed, reading an ebook on my Palm. I decide I want to check
> my email quickly, but I don't want to get out of the nice warm bed, so
> I push a few buttons on the device I am already holding and voila.
>
> The alternative is to get out of bed and sit at a desk.

Oh!!!!!! Poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: Charly on
Thanks all for your comments, but unfortunately, no solution...

In fact I wanted to to that for testing purposes for a Palm CENTRO. The
CENTRO, like the TREO phones, does not have wifi. The only way to gain
internet access is to use a phone "GSM/GPRS/EDGE/whatsoever" data plan
that cost money. I thought that it was clear.

I was configuring some Internet software (email, web, googlemap, ...)
and it can be money consumming doing so via your phone data plan.

I wanted to save that money and use a means of connexion I used with
other devices like T3 or T5.

I finally have done the testing via the data plan... And for the regular
use I'm using the phone connection : it is meant for that.

BUT if anyone knows the answer to my question, it can be usefull for a
future use or somebody else.

Charly