From: M.O.B. i L. on
I have bought a used Palm m505. It was said the battery was in a bad
condition and that it could only be used with the charger connected.

First, it was possible to charge it and use it while connected to the
charger, but now (a day later) it doesn't charge (charger LED is off)
and it's not possible to start it. I have tried hard reset but the
screen is completely dead.

Is there anything I can do to start it?
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
M.O.B. i L. wrote:
> I have bought a used Palm m505. It was said the battery was in a bad
> condition and that it could only be used with the charger connected.
>
> First, it was possible to charge it and use it while connected to the
> charger, but now (a day later) it doesn't charge (charger LED is off)
> and it's not possible to start it. I have tried hard reset but the
> screen is completely dead.
>
> Is there anything I can do to start it?

Probably not! Palm may still be willing and able to repair it but don't
count on it. If it is repairable, it will cost you!!
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
M.O.B. i L. wrote:
> I have bought a used Palm m505. It was said the battery was in a bad
> condition and that it could only be used with the charger connected.
>
> First, it was possible to charge it and use it while connected to the
> charger, but now (a day later) it doesn't charge (charger LED is off)
> and it's not possible to start it. I have tried hard reset but the
> screen is completely dead.
>
> Is there anything I can do to start it?

Your lowest cost alternative might be to buy another used M505 or some
similar device. E-Bay is a good source for such things. Also see
Amazon.com.

Good luck!
From: news on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:39:02 +0200, "M.O.B. i L." <mikaelb(a)df.lth.se>
wrote:

>I have bought a used Palm m505. It was said the battery was in a bad
>condition and that it could only be used with the charger connected.
>
>First, it was possible to charge it and use it while connected to the
>charger, but now (a day later) it doesn't charge (charger LED is off)
>and it's not possible to start it. I have tried hard reset but the
>screen is completely dead.
>
>Is there anything I can do to start it?

A dead battery rarely comes back to life reliably - sometimes they
don't work even with the charger connected (been there with another
Palm).

You can get a replacement battery for $15 + shipping here:
http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GHT&Product_Code=PA1371&Category_Code=

They have the cradle, USB cable, and AC charger for $5 plus shipping:
http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GHT&Product_Code=PA1237&Category_Code=

I bought from these people when they were gethightech.com and
everything I ordered was exactly as advertised.

Also check on Ebay - you might get a better price.

John
From: mike on
news(a)jecarter.us wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:39:02 +0200, "M.O.B. i L." <mikaelb(a)df.lth.se>
> wrote:
>
>> I have bought a used Palm m505. It was said the battery was in a bad
>> condition and that it could only be used with the charger connected.
>>
>> First, it was possible to charge it and use it while connected to the
>> charger, but now (a day later) it doesn't charge (charger LED is off)
>> and it's not possible to start it. I have tried hard reset but the
>> screen is completely dead.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to start it?
>
> A dead battery rarely comes back to life reliably - sometimes they
> don't work even with the charger connected (been there with another
> Palm).
>
> You can get a replacement battery for $15 + shipping here:
> http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GHT&Product_Code=PA1371&Category_Code=
>
> They have the cradle, USB cable, and AC charger for $5 plus shipping:
> http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GHT&Product_Code=PA1237&Category_Code=
>
> I bought from these people when they were gethightech.com and
> everything I ordered was exactly as advertised.
>
> Also check on Ebay - you might get a better price.
>
> John

I can't imagine anybody spending $15 to fix a m505.

Toss it and get something with at least 320x320 screen and enough horsepower
to play a video.

The smart phone has devastated the used pda market. If you
stay away from ebay, they're dirt cheap.

In my area, the current sweet spot appears to be the Tungsten T3.

But for a full-featured VGA pda with wifi and bluetooth, the
Dell Axim X51v can't be beat.