From: CY on
My thought was to get the time between two events, then its OK (not
great but OK), if you want the accurate, exact time on the millisecond/
micro/nano from the PC, how about checking on a NTP or a GPS app of
some kind, they have nice clocks. ticks are nice to time an delta, a
difference but not to get the real time, is your PC clock exact? to
the microsecond, millisecond or even second? if using W32time it might
be off a bit. I compared NTP to GPS and got 0.246 ms off.

//CY
From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"fniles" <fniles(a)pfmail.com> wrote in

> In the above example, does 73 mean 73 miliseconds ? But, 1 seconds has
> 1000 miliseconds, so that doesn't make sense.
>
> If the above function doesn't represent miliseond, what is the best
> way to get the milliseconds ?

It is actually centiseconds, or ten milliseconds. So 730 milliseconds is
correct. Standard base 10 operation.

You can get the millisecond from ticks, as well, but i tis trickier, as
you have to have a point of reference. For this reason, ticks are more
useful for time elapsed.

For example, you might have a process you are timing.

Module Module1

Sub Main()
Dim timer1 As DateTime = DateTime.Now

Dim i As Integer
Dim d As Double

'Loop to waste some time
For i = 1 To 1000000

d += i

Next

Dim timer2 As DateTime = DateTime.Now

Dim timeElapsedInTicks As Long = timer2.Ticks - timer1.Ticks
Dim timeElapsedInMilliseconds As Double = timeElapsedInTicks / 1000

Console.WriteLine("Ticks: {0}", timeElapsedInTicks)
Console.WriteLine("Millseconds: {0}", timeElapsedInMilliseconds)

Console.Read()
End Sub

End Module

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |
From: CY on
Did I die and got forced into the .NET world... can I leave that
box...;)
From: fniles on
OK, I will remember that in the future.
Thank you.

From: fniles on
Thank you very much for your help.

"Gregory A. Beamer" <NoSpamMgbworld(a)comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote in message
> "fniles" <fniles(a)pfmail.com> wrote in
>
>> In the above example, does 73 mean 73 miliseconds ? But, 1 seconds has
>> 1000 miliseconds, so that doesn't make sense.
>>
>> If the above function doesn't represent miliseond, what is the best
>> way to get the milliseconds ?
>
> It is actually centiseconds, or ten milliseconds. So 730 milliseconds is
> correct. Standard base 10 operation.
>
> You can get the millisecond from ticks, as well, but i tis trickier, as
> you have to have a point of reference. For this reason, ticks are more
> useful for time elapsed.
>
> For example, you might have a process you are timing.
>
> Module Module1
>
> Sub Main()
> Dim timer1 As DateTime = DateTime.Now
>
> Dim i As Integer
> Dim d As Double
>
> 'Loop to waste some time
> For i = 1 To 1000000
>
> d += i
>
> Next
>
> Dim timer2 As DateTime = DateTime.Now
>
> Dim timeElapsedInTicks As Long = timer2.Ticks - timer1.Ticks
> Dim timeElapsedInMilliseconds As Double = timeElapsedInTicks / 1000
>
> Console.WriteLine("Ticks: {0}", timeElapsedInTicks)
> Console.WriteLine("Millseconds: {0}", timeElapsedInMilliseconds)
>
> Console.Read()
> End Sub
>
> End Module
>
> Peace and Grace,