From: Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen on
Hello,

I'm using the ntpd client from SlackWare 13.0.
This has the [in my opinion] nasty habit of writing the log full of
these messages.
I've looked in the documentation, but I've been unable to find how to
get rid of them.
Can and will somebody tell me how to do it,please?

Thanks in advance,

--
Regards,

Hans.
From: Loki Harfagr on
Mon, 24 May 2010 14:01:14 +0000, Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen did cat :

> Hello,
>
> I'm using the ntpd client from SlackWare 13.0. This has the [in my
> opinion] nasty habit of writing the log full of these messages.

If it's really "full" I'd say your polling freq. is prolly a bit too hot ;-)
Anyway, taht's a different probleme and that may enventually only concern your
ntp servers providers.

> I've looked in the documentation, but I've been unable to find how to
> get rid of them.
> Can and will somebody tell me how to do it,please?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Not to 'get rid' of them (I'm reluctant to do so as an old habit
and old reflexes like if there's a message from system component I may
someday find out the very reason why) though if read in the lines you
may also be able to extend the idea to 'get rid'ding.

Amend your /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd file and dedicate a specific logfile to
the ntp service as you'll find in the manpage (/logfile)

You may then decide the max size and rotating freq et al for that
file within the syslog parameters.
From: tapp on
Loki Harfagr <l0k1(a)thedarkdesign.free.fr.INVALID> [Mon, 24 May 2010
15:34:30 +0000]

> Amend your /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd file and dedicate a specific logfile to
> the ntp service as you'll find in the manpage (/logfile)

Right, but instead of messing with the startup script, just edit your /etc/
ntp.conf , where your time servers are defined anyway. For the above, add
the following line:

logfile /var/log/ntp.log

If you want to turn off all logging, just add (with or without the above):

logconfig -allsync -allclock -allsys -allpeer

HTH...
From: Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen on
Hello,

LH> If it's really "full" I'd say your polling freq. is prolly a bit too hot\

It proably depends on what you call "full". The frequency or this line is
approximately once per half hour. Too hifh for my likeing.

LH Not to 'get rid' of them (I'm reluctant to do so as an old habit
LH and old reflexes like if there's a message from system component I may
LH someday find out the very reason why)

I agree with you, as long as the messages are meaningful. This one only
seems to tell me that ntpd is still working. Occasionally I get something
like "time reset", that is good enough for me.

LH Amend your /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd file and dedicate a specific logfile to
LH the ntp service as you'll find in the manpage (/logfile)
LH You may then decide the max size and rotating freq et al for that
LH file within the syslog parameters.

I know ahout logrotate, but I just don't want to see those messages any
more.

--
Regards,

Hans.
From: Grant on
On 30 May 2010 13:52:34 GMT, "Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen" <jbeekhui(a)duinheks.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>LH> If it's really "full" I'd say your polling freq. is prolly a bit too hot\
>
>It proably depends on what you call "full". The frequency or this line is
>approximately once per half hour. Too hifh for my likeing.
>
>LH Not to 'get rid' of them (I'm reluctant to do so as an old habit
>LH and old reflexes like if there's a message from system component I may
>LH someday find out the very reason why)
>
>I agree with you, as long as the messages are meaningful. This one only
>seems to tell me that ntpd is still working. Occasionally I get something
>like "time reset", that is good enough for me.
>
>LH Amend your /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd file and dedicate a specific logfile to
>LH the ntp service as you'll find in the manpage (/logfile)
>LH You may then decide the max size and rotating freq et al for that
>LH file within the syslog parameters.
>
>I know ahout logrotate, but I just don't want to see those messages any
>more.

Turn off logging in your ntp.conf, once the thing is working.

But then, looking at a box here that is running 32bit slack-13.0, there's
no ntp related messages in the logs. The ntp.conf is:

# /etc/ntp.conf for slackware on peetoo - 2005-01-18
#
# see: http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/ConfRestrict
#
restrict default
server 192.168.3.3 iburst
restrict 192.168.3.3
restrict 127.0.0.1
#
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
#

This is for a localnet box getting the time from the localnet controller
box. You can see from that datestamp I've had no issues with ntpd for
over five years.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/