From: Michael Black on
So there's an entry in the changelog today (Monday May 24th)
saying:

Slackware 13.1 x86 stable is released!
Lots of thanks are due -- see the RELEASE_NOTES and the rest of the
ChangeLog for credits. The ISOs are on their way to replication,
a 6 CD-ROM 32-bit set and a dual-sided 32-bit/64-bit x86/x86_64 DVD.
We are taking pre-orders now at store.slackware.com, and offering
a discount if you sign up for a subscription. Consider picking up
a copy to help support the project. Thanks again to the Slackware
community for testing, contributing, and generally holding us to a
high level of quality. :-)
Enjoy!

I don't quite know how this works, since the date of the entry is
May 19th, yet it wasn't up earlier today. So either there is some
lag and nobody noticed it had already been released, or the
date is wrong.

There is a notice up on the main page of slackware.com

So it is way too late to guess the release date. I'd thought of
jumping in and suggesting there be a guessing game for the time
of day the release gets announced (on whatever day it happened),
but I was too late for that.

Though oddly enough, William Hunt guess right, unless the release
really was last Wednesday:
I'll take Mon May 24 22:20 UTC

I seem to recall that last time the notice didn't appear until
after the actual day, so when I thought someone had guess exactly,
that wasn't quite right if the date of the entry counted more than
when it appeared.

The 64bit version appears at the same time, which I specifically add
since the wording almost makes it sound like one might be ready
and not the other.

Email hasn't arrived yet announcing the release. I remember last
year I decided to subscribe, and then nothing came until the release was
out, actually a bit after the changelog announced the release. The
email included a note saying that someone had suggested email be
sent out about it, or words to that effect.

Michael

From: Grant on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:39:04 -0400, Michael Black <et472(a)ncf.ca> wrote:

>So there's an entry in the changelog today (Monday May 24th)
>saying:
>
> Slackware 13.1 x86 stable is released!
> Lots of thanks are due -- see the RELEASE_NOTES and the rest of the
> ChangeLog for credits. The ISOs are on their way to replication,
> a 6 CD-ROM 32-bit set and a dual-sided 32-bit/64-bit x86/x86_64 DVD.
> We are taking pre-orders now at store.slackware.com, and offering
> a discount if you sign up for a subscription. Consider picking up
> a copy to help support the project. Thanks again to the Slackware
> community for testing, contributing, and generally holding us to a
> high level of quality. :-)
> Enjoy!
>
>I don't quite know how this works, since the date of the entry is
>May 19th, yet it wasn't up earlier today. So either there is some
>lag and nobody noticed it had already been released, or the
>date is wrong.

I think they held it for a few days testing? I get my updates through a
mirror, and 13.1 came in today. The mirror is usually a day or two behind
slackware.com (also allow for me being in a +10 time zone).

>There is a notice up on the main page of slackware.com
>
>So it is way too late to guess the release date. I'd thought of
>jumping in and suggesting there be a guessing game for the time
>of day the release gets announced (on whatever day it happened),
>but I was too late for that.
>
>Though oddly enough, William Hunt guess right, unless the release
>really was last Wednesday:
> I'll take Mon May 24 22:20 UTC
>
>I seem to recall that last time the notice didn't appear until
>after the actual day, so when I thought someone had guess exactly,
>that wasn't quite right if the date of the entry counted more than
>when it appeared.
>
>The 64bit version appears at the same time, which I specifically add
>since the wording almost makes it sound like one might be ready
>and not the other.
>
>Email hasn't arrived yet announcing the release. I remember last
>year I decided to subscribe, and then nothing came until the release was
>out, actually a bit after the changelog announced the release. The
>email included a note saying that someone had suggested email be
>sent out about it, or words to that effect.

Wouldn't worry about it, they're probably busy getting the CD + DVD
versions out.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:39:04 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

> So there's an entry in the changelog today (Monday May 24th) saying:
>
> Slackware 13.1 x86 stable is released! Lots of thanks are due -- see
> the RELEASE_NOTES and the rest of the ChangeLog for credits. The
> ISOs are on their way to replication, a 6 CD-ROM 32-bit set and a
> dual-sided 32-bit/64-bit x86/x86_64 DVD. We are taking pre-orders
> now at store.slackware.com, and offering a discount if you sign up
> for a subscription. Consider picking up a copy to help support the
> project. Thanks again to the Slackware community for testing,
> contributing, and generally holding us to a high level of quality.
> :-)
> Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who worked on getting this out so quickly. I am just
trying it out on a netbook right now. I installed it on an existing
device mapper encrypted partition and so far it is working great.

bash-4.1$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.33.4-smp (root(a)midas) (gcc version 4.4.4 (GCC) ) #1 SMP
Wed May 12 21:39:37 CDT 2010

The only thing I am a little shy about is I think that 2.6.33.x kernel
may need some more tweaking with respect to xfs filesystem deadlocks.
Perhaps, it's time to check btrfs.

--
Douglas Mayne
From: Grant on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 17:16:38 +0000 (UTC), Douglas Mayne <doug(a)localhost.localnet> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:39:04 -0400, Michael Black wrote:
>
>> So there's an entry in the changelog today (Monday May 24th) saying:
>>
>> Slackware 13.1 x86 stable is released! Lots of thanks are due -- see
>> the RELEASE_NOTES and the rest of the ChangeLog for credits. The
>> ISOs are on their way to replication, a 6 CD-ROM 32-bit set and a
>> dual-sided 32-bit/64-bit x86/x86_64 DVD. We are taking pre-orders
>> now at store.slackware.com, and offering a discount if you sign up
>> for a subscription. Consider picking up a copy to help support the
>> project. Thanks again to the Slackware community for testing,
>> contributing, and generally holding us to a high level of quality.
>> :-)
>> Enjoy!
>>
>Thanks to everyone who worked on getting this out so quickly. I am just
>trying it out on a netbook right now. I installed it on an existing
>device mapper encrypted partition and so far it is working great.
>
>bash-4.1$ cat /proc/version
>Linux version 2.6.33.4-smp (root(a)midas) (gcc version 4.4.4 (GCC) ) #1 SMP
>Wed May 12 21:39:37 CDT 2010
>
>The only thing I am a little shy about is I think that 2.6.33.x kernel
>may need some more tweaking with respect to xfs filesystem deadlocks.
>Perhaps, it's time to check btrfs.

Well, there's always 2.6.33.5, out in a couple days ;) I didn't read
through the fixes to notice if xfs got some TLC.

I'm doing other stuff at the moment, got 13.1 here 'cos I track -current
source tree from a mirror[1], but no hurry to install it. Other stuff
is related to soldering iron, not another OS.

[1]When slack-13.1 announced, I copied the two slack*-current source over
trees to slack13.1 and slack64-13.1 and add them to my rsync script list,
all very nice as then the rsync script collects slack*-13.1 and other
patches and continues collecting -current when it starts moving again.

This is a painless way to avoid the rush for .iso images, another script
creates a boot CD and I install via NFS, for installing offsite, I can
I create a DVD. I still have old boxes with CD but no DVD drive.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: William Hunt on
On Tue, 25 May 2010, Grant wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:39:04 -0400, Michael Black <et472(a)ncf.ca> wrote:
[...]
>>Though oddly enough, William Hunt guess right, unless the release
>>really was last Wednesday:
>> I'll take Mon May 24 22:20 UTC

whoot! whoot!

pretty d* close to when it showed on slackware.com, if not
the actual .iso timestamp. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This is YET another SIGN and more PROOF that the END of the
WORLD is at HAND and you NEED to know WHAT YOU THINK before
it is too LATE. Do -not- ALLOW the MORASS == lack of SLACK
confuse you and POLLUTE your VITAL LIVING FLUIDS! Send $25
NOW for more information. Do not WASTE any TIME or delay!!

--
William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA