From: Gary on
With using VB6, does anyone know how to get the device instance path if you
know the device name (or any other way)? This is for a USB device. The
device instance path can be seen in the details tab for the properties
dialog of the device in device manager. My goal is to launch the properties
dialog for this device. Any other way than I am trying to go about it would
also be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any input, I am also trying to
learn how to launch the advanced properties dialog of this device. Thanks
much for any help.

Gary

From: Dee Earley on
On 06/07/2010 01:55, Gary wrote:
> With using VB6, does anyone know how to get the device instance path if
> you know the device name (or any other way)? This is for a USB device.
> The device instance path can be seen in the details tab for the
> properties dialog of the device in device manager. My goal is to launch
> the properties dialog for this device. Any other way than I am trying to
> go about it would also be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any
> input, I am also trying to learn how to launch the advanced properties
> dialog of this device. Thanks much for any help.

Again, the Setup API.
I have code here but to enumerate HID devices but it's not mine to give
away.
The main calls are:
SetupDiGetClassDevs gets devices of a given class
SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces and SetupDiGetDeviceInterfaceDetail to get a
pathname
I then CreateFile on it and call HidD_GetAttributes to get the
vendor/device IDs.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Gary formulated the question :
> With using VB6, does anyone know how to get the device instance path if you
> know the device name (or any other way)? This is for a USB device. The device
> instance path can be seen in the details tab for the properties dialog of the
> device in device manager. My goal is to launch the properties dialog for this
> device. Any other way than I am trying to go about it would also be much
> appreciated. Also, if anyone has any input, I am also trying to learn how to
> launch the advanced properties dialog of this device. Thanks much for any
> help.

I believe that's handed to you if you monitor the WM_DEVICECHANGE
message. Assumes your app is already running, though. Example -
http://vb.mvps.org/samples/SysInfo/

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org