From: Mail Man Bob on

"none" <none(a)noemail.com> wrote in message news:1Plui.17243

> 1/ At a command-prompt..type edit c:\windows\system.ini
> and make the necessary changes.

Thanks! Does it matter where in the file I insert this text?

From: Ron Martell on
"Mail Man Bob" <no(a)where.com> wrote:

>Thanks Peter & Steven,
>
>Peter, does it matter where I put this in the file? I'm also using
>Photoshop so I'm looking forward to the speed. Using a lot let RAM right
>now.
>
>> [vcache]
>> MaxFileCache=128000

The line should read
MaxFileCache=512000

and it should be inserted in the file immediately below the existing

[vcache]

section header line.

Limiting disk cache to just 128 mb would obviate much of the advantage
gained by having 1 gb of RAM.

Note that there are occasional hardware related issues that can
prevent Windows from operating successfully with even 1 gb of RAM,
although these are not usually encountered until you to more than 1
gb.

If you still have problems with the 1 gb of RAM you could try adding
an additional entry to the System.ini file, this time in the
(existing) [386enh] section of the file:

MaxPhysPage=30000

That will in fact limit Windows to using only 768 mb of the installed
RAM.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
From: Mail Man Bob on
Thanks Ron. I found something similar to what you're saying here...

Symptoms
If your computer has more than 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of memory (RAM), the
computer may reboot continuously when you try to start Windows Millennium
Edition (Me) or Windows 98.

Or, when you try to install Windows Me or Windows 98 with more than 1.5 GB
of RAM installed, Setup may stop responding (hang) or reboot continuously.

CAUSE
Windows Me and Windows 98 are not designed to handle more than 1 GB of RAM.
More than 1 GB can lead to potential system instability.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, add the following line to the [386enh] section of
the System.ini file:

MaxPhysPage=40000 This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can
access to 1 GB. To add this line, use the following steps:

1.
Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to open the System.ini file in
the Windows folder.

2.
Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file:

MaxPhysPage=40000

3.
Save the file, and then restart your computer.

For additional information about the MaxPhysPage entry, click the article
number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Specifying Amount of RAM Available to Windows Using MaxPhysPage

From: peter wagner on
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:38:26 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Mail Man Bob" <no(a)where.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Peter & Steven,
>>
>>Peter, does it matter where I put this in the file? I'm also using
>>Photoshop so I'm looking forward to the speed. Using a lot let RAM right
>>now.
>>
>>> [vcache]
>>> MaxFileCache=128000
>>

>The line should read
>MaxFileCache=512000

This also possible, but gives different results:
AFAIR the number given here tells windows, to use max thjis amount of
*available* memory as cache for files and at the other side to use the
rest of *available* memory for program use. So your value works (as mine
does), but give programs less memory. It is a decision between more
working room and bigger vcache. Both will work.
The other entry (MaxPhysPage) reduces *available* memory, as I see it.
>and it should be inserted in the file immediately below the existing
>
>[vcache]
>
>section header line.

Therefore I included th header.

>Limiting disk cache to just 128 mb would obviate much of the advantage
>gained by having 1 gb of RAM.
>
>Note that there are occasional hardware related issues that can
>prevent Windows from operating successfully with even 1 gb of RAM,
>although these are not usually encountered until you to more than 1
>gb.
>
>If you still have problems with the 1 gb of RAM you could try adding
>an additional entry to the System.ini file, this time in the
>(existing) [386enh] section of the file:
>
>MaxPhysPage=30000
>
>That will in fact limit Windows to using only 768 mb of the installed
>RAM.
>
>Hope this is of some assistance.
>
>Good luck
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Greetings

Peter (der aus dem Moor) Wagner
From: none on

"Mail Man Bob" <no(a)where.com> wrote in message news:yjpui.17288$J13.15072(a)trnddc02...

> "none" <none(a)noemail.com> wrote in message news:1Plui.17243
>
>> 1/ At a command-prompt..type edit c:\windows\system.ini
>> and make the necessary changes.
>

> Thanks! Does it matter where in the file I insert this text?

Yes!
Pay attention to what others have told you.