From: Mail Man Bob on
I installed one 1GB RAM in Win98 machine and it won't boot. I remember
hearing that 512M was the normal maximum but that there is a change that can
be made so it will accept 1GB.

1 - Does anyone know how to use 1GB with Win98SE?

2 - Is there any advantage in going from 512 to 1GB?

Thanks.

Bob

From: Steven Saunderson on
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:23:17 GMT, "Mail Man Bob" <no(a)where.com> wrote:

> 1 - Does anyone know how to use 1GB with Win98SE?

I also couldn't get W98SE to boot with 1GB but limiting the available
memory to about 900MB solves the problem for me. To limit it find the
[386Enh] section in SYSTEM.INI and add :

MaxPhysPage=38000

If you still have problems I would reduce the value to 30000 (768MB).

> 2 - Is there any advantage in going from 512 to 1GB?

I'm not sure but I have a multi-boot PC and the extra RAM is useful for
other OSs.

--
Steven
From: peter wagner on
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:23:17 GMT, "Mail Man Bob" <no(a)where.com> wrote:

>I installed one 1GB RAM in Win98 machine and it won't boot. I remember
>hearing that 512M was the normal maximum but that there is a change that can
>be made so it will accept 1GB.
>
>1 - Does anyone know how to use 1GB with Win98SE?

Running here with 1GB.

Put the following in SYS.ini (in C:\Windows):

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=128000

I have no "Maxphysical ..". as in another message is posted.

>2 - Is there any advantage in going from 512 to 1GB?

Big advantage for me running Photoshop. It uses all available memory,
resulting in much faster execution

>Thanks.
>
>Bob

Greetings

Peter (der aus dem Moor) Wagner
From: Mail Man Bob on
Thanks Peter & Steven,

Peter, does it matter where I put this in the file? I'm also using
Photoshop so I'm looking forward to the speed. Using a lot let RAM right
now.

> [vcache]
> MaxFileCache=128000

Bob

From: none on

"Mail Man Bob" <no(a)where.com> wrote in message news:V%0ui.18309$ug3.16035(a)trnddc06...
>I installed one 1GB RAM in Win98 machine and it won't boot. I remember
> hearing that 512M was the normal maximum but that there is a change that can
> be made so it will accept 1GB.
>
> 1 - Does anyone know how to use 1GB with Win98SE?
>
> 2 - Is there any advantage in going from 512 to 1GB?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob

As other posters have mentioned, you need to
edit system.ini, and you`re probably asking yourself
how can I do that if I can`t boot up into windows!?
There`s a couple of ways to do it:
1/ At a command-prompt..type edit c:\windows\system.ini
and make the necessary changes.
2/ Temporarily remove a stick of ram (if more than one)..
boot to windows, and then start/run/msconfig; and you`ll see
a tab in there that sets the amount of ram
or start/run/sysedit