From: Nilesh Govindarajan on
libphp5.so doesn't need the php binary.

I've confirmed this using a test.

My local apache is configured to use libphp5.so

I moved /usr/bin/php to /root, then started apache and ran drupal. It
worked.

This confirms that libphp5.so is independent of the php binary in
/usr/bin as I suggested earlier.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator
From: Kevin Kinsey on
Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> libphp5.so doesn't need the php binary.

You're right, and of course not. libphp5.so
*is* a "PHP binary" :-)

> I've confirmed this using a test.
>
> My local apache is configured to use libphp5.so
>
> I moved /usr/bin/php to /root, then started apache and ran drupal. It
> worked.
>
> This confirms that libphp5.so is independent of the php binary in
> /usr/bin as I suggested earlier.

No one was questioning that .. or at least, I wasn't.
One is an executable binary file ... a program.

The other is also a binary file, but it's a _library_.

What I said was you need one or the other. "A" binary
file, either the Apache SO or the "binary" interpreter...

It's possible to configure Apache to use a PHP executable
(CGI), and the CGI and CLI executables are similar, if
not identical.

I dunno if anyone actually does that anymore, though. :-)

Ashley said "The libphp5.so is the Apache module that
links PHP into Apache. You need this and PHP installed
if you want to use PHP in Apache." Devendra apparently
misinterpreted this to mean that you need both the SO and
the binary interpreter, but you don't. You DO need the
rest of the PHP extensions, libraries, config files, etc.
... a "PHP installation", whether or not your have the
CLI binary is not that important, although I always do
since I like to run system scripts in PHP via cron, etc.

Kevin Kinsey
From: Nilesh Govindarajan on
On 04/01/10 23:03, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>> libphp5.so doesn't need the php binary.
>
> You're right, and of course not. libphp5.so
> *is* a "PHP binary" :-)
>
>> I've confirmed this using a test.
>>
>> My local apache is configured to use libphp5.so
>>
>> I moved /usr/bin/php to /root, then started apache and ran drupal. It
>> worked.
>>
>> This confirms that libphp5.so is independent of the php binary in
>> /usr/bin as I suggested earlier.
>
> No one was questioning that .. or at least, I wasn't.
> One is an executable binary file ... a program.
>
> The other is also a binary file, but it's a _library_.
>
> What I said was you need one or the other. "A" binary
> file, either the Apache SO or the "binary" interpreter...
>
> It's possible to configure Apache to use a PHP executable
> (CGI), and the CGI and CLI executables are similar, if
> not identical.
>
> I dunno if anyone actually does that anymore, though. :-)
>
> Ashley said "The libphp5.so is the Apache module that
> links PHP into Apache. You need this and PHP installed
> if you want to use PHP in Apache." Devendra apparently
> misinterpreted this to mean that you need both the SO and
> the binary interpreter, but you don't. You DO need the
> rest of the PHP extensions, libraries, config files, etc.
> ... a "PHP installation", whether or not your have the
> CLI binary is not that important, although I always do
> since I like to run system scripts in PHP via cron, etc.
>
> Kevin Kinsey

LOL. Super misunderstanding. Anyway, I did that test to help Devendra.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator
From: Devendra Jadhav on
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists(a)itech7.com>wrote:

> On 04/01/10 23:03, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>
>> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>>
>>> libphp5.so doesn't need the php binary.
>>>

>> You're right, and of course not. libphp5.so
>> *is* a "PHP binary" :-)
>>
>> I've confirmed this using a test.
>>>
>>> My local apache is configured to use libphp5.so
>>>
>>> I moved /usr/bin/php to /root, then started apache and ran drupal. It
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> This confirms that libphp5.so is independent of the php binary in
>>> /usr/bin as I suggested earlier.
>>>

>> No one was questioning that .. or at least, I wasn't.
>> One is an executable binary file ... a program.
>>
>> The other is also a binary file, but it's a _library_.
>>
>> What I said was you need one or the other. "A" binary
>> file, either the Apache SO or the "binary" interpreter...
>>
>> It's possible to configure Apache to use a PHP executable
>> (CGI), and the CGI and CLI executables are similar, if
>> not identical.
>>
>> I dunno if anyone actually does that anymore, though. :-)
>>
>> Ashley said "The libphp5.so is the Apache module that
>> links PHP into Apache. You need this and PHP installed
>> if you want to use PHP in Apache." Devendra apparently
>> misinterpreted this to mean that you need both the SO and
>> the binary interpreter, but you don't. You DO need the
>> rest of the PHP extensions, libraries, config files, etc.
>> ... a "PHP installation", whether or not your have the
>> CLI binary is not that important, although I always do
>> since I like to run system scripts in PHP via cron, etc.
>>
>> Kevin Kinsey
>>

> LOL. Super misunderstanding. Anyway, I did that test to help Devendra.
>

> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Site & Server Administrator
> www.itech7.com
> मेरा भारत महान !
> मम भारत: महत्तम भवतु !

I think I am clear with everything now.. Good.. Thank you very much Nilesh,
kevin, Ashley & all.

--
Devendra Jadhav
देवेंद्र जाधव