From: Jorge on
On Jan 13, 1:50 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yoda wrote:
> >> (...) Because it's a collection,
> >> not a hierarchy.  Think. (...)
>
> > I still don't get it. Sorry. Could you please enlighten me ?
>
> You certainly are sorry.  :)  What does the styleSheets collection
> abstract?  What is it typically used for?  How could it possibly make
> sense to include imports _inside_ the specified style sheets in this
> collection?

In what sense are imported stylesheets "less than" stylesheets
obtained/applied by a <link> or a <style> ?
--
Jorge.
From: David Mark on
Jorge wrote:
> On Jan 13, 1:50 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yoda wrote:
>>> I still don't get it. Sorry. Could you please enlighten me ?
>> You certainly are sorry. :) What does the styleSheets collection
>> abstract? What is it typically used for? How could it possibly make
>> sense to include imports _inside_ the specified style sheets in this
>> collection?
>
> In what sense are imported stylesheets "less than" stylesheets
> obtained/applied by a <link> or a <style> ?

Are you in the middle of a test or something? I'm looking at my quote
and I don't see "less than". I assume you mean one or more of the
former may be included in the latter. It follows that an abstraction
that would include the latter would have to be hierarchical. Clear?

Good luck, Jorge!
From: Jorge on
On Jan 13, 2:12 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jorge wrote:
> >> You certainly are sorry.  :)  What does the styleSheets collection
> >> abstract?  What is it typically used for?  How could it possibly make
> >> sense to include imports _inside_ the specified style sheets in this
> >> collection?
>
> > In what sense are imported stylesheets "less than" stylesheets
> > obtained/applied by a <link> or a <style> ?
>
> Are you in the middle of a test or something?  I'm looking at my quote
> and I don't see "less than".  I assume you mean one or more of the
> former may be included in the latter.  It follows that an abstraction
> that would include the latter would have to be hierarchical.  Clear?

Yes you've got to digg deep inside the collection hierarchy to access
the imported ones, but an imported stylesheet is as stylesheet as any
other and equally important so ISTM that it would have made perfect
sense to have them all included at the same level in the collection of
styleSheet*s* of the document -regardless of its origin-. Or not ? And
if not, why ?
--
Jorge.
From: David Mark on
Jorge wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2:12 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jorge wrote:
>>> In what sense are imported stylesheets "less than" stylesheets
>>> obtained/applied by a <link> or a <style> ?
>> Are you in the middle of a test or something? I'm looking at my quote
>> and I don't see "less than". I assume you mean one or more of the
>> former may be included in the latter. It follows that an abstraction
>> that would include the latter would have to be hierarchical. Clear?
>
> Yes you've got to digg deep inside the collection hierarchy to access

There is no "collection hierarchy". The document.styleSheets collection
is just that. But you are sort of on the right track. Why not just
read the manual and realize there are other abstractions for tracking
down imports.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535871(VS.85).aspx

> the imported ones, but an imported stylesheet is as stylesheet as any
> other and equally important so ISTM that it would have made perfect
> sense to have them all included at the same level in the collection of
> styleSheet*s* of the document -regardless of its origin-. Or not ? And
> if not, why ?

Because it doesn't make any sense at all? If you can't visualize the
various abstractions and how your proposition would be tangling them up
for no practical reason, then I can't help you.
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 13, 8:53 am, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> Yes you've got to digg deep inside the collection hierarchy to access
> the imported ones, but an imported stylesheet is as stylesheet as any
> other and equally important so ISTM that it would have made perfect
> sense to have them all included at the same level in the collection of
> styleSheet*s* of the document -regardless of its origin-. Or not ? And
> if not, why ?

Well, there would be some oddities if you tried to flatten the list in
this manner. In almost every case I've ever seen of flattening a
hierarchy, the parent node is included before its children. But if
you did that here, the stylesheets would be in the wrong order for the
CSS cascade. CSS says that @import rules have to come first in the
stylesheet, and even if they're not properly placed, must be processed
before other rules in the sheet.

So if you have sheet a importing b followed by c importing d, the only
practical order of flattening them is the counter-intuitive [b, a, d,
c].

Besides, it would make much more difficult the sort of text-based
manipulation described earlier in this thread!

-- Scott