From: Gurveer on
Hello All

I guess I'm in a big trouble here.

A while ago, I created a program in System RPL which would display
some text on the screen and can not be passed in any way because it
reads the key input using WaitForKey command. Mistakenly, I made it to
check against key 52 which doesn't even exist on the calculator. I
didn't realize that until today because I would just warmstart the
calculator if I accidentally executed that program. I somehow ended up
overwriting $CONFIG for a library application that I was working on by
that program. The library was created and stored in the flashport
unknowingly that $CONFIG has been overwritten by that. To attach the
library, I warmstarted the calculator and found that annoying program
pop up. I understand why it would that. I even tried to perform
another warmstart with the ON+Backspace key held so as not to attach
the libraries this time but to no success as it would not respond to
that anymore whereas the original program did use to. It just won't do
anything even if I would perform a coldstart with both Yes and No. I
kinda have lost hope to make my calculator to get back to the normal
position because ON+D won't work either. I was wondering if there's
any way around this thing. I have all my data backed up including the
libraries in Flashport, fortunately.

I would be highly obliged to be helped in this matter. I thought of
blanking the flashport externally but have no idea if that's even
possible.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,

Gurveer
From: Jacob Wall on
On 14/04/2010 10:08 PM, Gurveer wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I guess I'm in a big trouble here.
>
> A while ago, I created a program in System RPL which would display
> some text on the screen and can not be passed in any way because it
> reads the key input using WaitForKey command. Mistakenly, I made it to
> check against key 52 which doesn't even exist on the calculator. I
> didn't realize that until today because I would just warmstart the
> calculator if I accidentally executed that program. I somehow ended up
> overwriting $CONFIG for a library application that I was working on by
> that program. The library was created and stored in the flashport
> unknowingly that $CONFIG has been overwritten by that. To attach the
> library, I warmstarted the calculator and found that annoying program
> pop up. I understand why it would that. I even tried to perform
> another warmstart with the ON+Backspace key held so as not to attach
> the libraries this time but to no success as it would not respond to
> that anymore whereas the original program did use to. It just won't do
> anything even if I would perform a coldstart with both Yes and No. I
> kinda have lost hope to make my calculator to get back to the normal
> position because ON+D won't work either. I was wondering if there's
> any way around this thing. I have all my data backed up including the
> libraries in Flashport, fortunately.
>
> I would be highly obliged to be helped in this matter. I thought of
> blanking the flashport externally but have no idea if that's even
> possible.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> Gurveer
Hello,

I believe the full 2MB flash ROM will wipe everything clean, however can
you initiate the upgrade process? Interesting problem you got there! I
had some bizarre stuff happen with ROM 2.14 which was corrected with the
Version 2.15 2MB fix.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Jacob
From: Gurveer on
On Apr 14, 11:36 pm, Jacob Wall <jac...(a)surv50.ca> wrote:
> On 14/04/2010 10:08 PM, Gurveer wrote:
>

> > Hello All
>
> > I guess I'm in a big trouble here.
>
> > A while ago, I created a program in System RPL which would display
> > some text on the screen and can not be passed in any way because it
> > reads the key input using WaitForKey command. Mistakenly, I made it to
> > check against key 52 which doesn't even exist on the calculator. I
> > didn't realize that until today because I would just warmstart the
> > calculator if I accidentally executed that program. I somehow ended up
> > overwriting $CONFIG for a library application that I was working on by
> > that program. The library was created and stored in the flashport
> > unknowingly that $CONFIG has been overwritten by that. To attach the
> > library, I warmstarted the calculator and found that annoying program
> > pop up. I understand why it would that. I even tried to perform
> > another warmstart with the ON+Backspace key held so as not to attach
> > the libraries this time but to no success as it would not respond to
> > that anymore whereas the original program did use to. It just won't do
> > anything even if I would perform a coldstart with both Yes and No. I
> > kinda have lost hope to make my calculator to get back to the normal
> > position because ON+D won't work either. I was wondering if there's
> > any way around this thing. I have all my data backed up including the
> > libraries in Flashport, fortunately.
>
> > I would be highly obliged to be helped in this matter. I thought of
> > blanking the flashport externally but have no idea if that's even
> > possible.
>
> > Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Gurveer
>
> Hello,
>
> I believe the full 2MB flash ROM will wipe everything clean, however can
> you initiate the upgrade process?  Interesting problem you got there!  I
> had some bizarre stuff happen with ROM 2.14 which was corrected with the
> Version 2.15 2MB fix.
>
> Best of luck, and keep us posted!
>
> Jacob

Thanks for the reply, Jacob.

There is no way I can initiate that process at all. I press ON+D and
surprisingly, it won't even do anything. But when I had the same
global variable program running, it would work just fine.

I've got ROM version #2.15 anyways.

Something I'm kinda amazed at is the fact that the program has been
entirely written in SysRPL but still ON+C, ON+D, etc. hold keys won't
work which could otherwise have been disabled in Saturn Assembly, I
guess. And that's not the case at all, so why is it that way!

Gurveer
From: TW on
> Something I'm kinda amazed at is the fact that the program has been
> entirely written in SysRPL but still ON+C, ON+D, etc. hold keys won't
> work which could otherwise have been disabled in Saturn Assembly, I
> guess. And that's not the case at all, so why is it that way!

Stick a paperclip in the RESET hole while holding + and -

That is the "official" way to get into the flash update thing.

TW
From: Bart on
@ Gurveer
Note that the 2MB FIX update is a separate update that must be run by
itself, even though it is included in the 2.15 package.

@TW
>Stick a paperclip in the RESET hole while holding + and -
>
>That is the "official" way to get into the flash update thing.

Interesting as the PDF documentation that comes with the 2.15 update
describes the "ON-F4, then ON-F3 followed by + & -" method. Is this
HP's official way? I don't know, in the PDF's properties, the only
reference is the author "wessman" ;).

I am on my second 50G, the first one "scrapped" due to missing lines
on the display - in my opinion made worse when I used the reset hole.
Personally I will avoid ever using the reset hole on the new one.
However, in Gurveer's case it may be the only way to rescue his calc.

-B