From: Steve Calfee on
Hi, I have a PC104 system. It does not have either a floppy or a CD
drive, it has a compact flash drive a: built in and an add on board
for a compact flash card (like used in cameras) for drive c:.

It comes with a defunct dos clone called GSDOS. Someone before me made
a MSDOS bootable flash drive. Now with that I can sys: from that
bios/drive a: flash and make bootable drives in the c: CF drive. And I
can then do the same for other a: flash drives by using the c: drive.

My problem is I would like to try freedos and drdos and others. These
systems typically come with 1.4meg floppy and cd image files. I don't
know how to make a bootable compact flash. The only non-dos access to
the cf drives I have is via a USB/compact flash dongle for my winxp
system. I can copy files onto the CF from windows, but the hidden,
system areas, partition info, boot records etc also need to be inited.

It is a chicken and egg thing. Once I have a bootable DOS drive I can
sys copy onto other dos drives. But I do not have a bootable DOS
system than can access the USB/CF dongle. I have a linux system but no
compact flash reader/writer hardware.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve
There is no "x" in my email address.
From: linnix on

Steve Calfee wrote:
> Hi, I have a PC104 system. It does not have either a floppy or a CD
> drive, it has a compact flash drive a: built in and an add on board
> for a compact flash card (like used in cameras) for drive c:.
>
> It comes with a defunct dos clone called GSDOS. Someone before me made
> a MSDOS bootable flash drive. Now with that I can sys: from that
> bios/drive a: flash and make bootable drives in the c: CF drive. And I
> can then do the same for other a: flash drives by using the c: drive.
>
> My problem is I would like to try freedos and drdos and others. These
> systems typically come with 1.4meg floppy and cd image files. I don't
> know how to make a bootable compact flash. The only non-dos access to
> the cf drives I have is via a USB/compact flash dongle for my winxp
> system. I can copy files onto the CF from windows, but the hidden,
> system areas, partition info, boot records etc also need to be inited.
>
> It is a chicken and egg thing. Once I have a bootable DOS drive I can
> sys copy onto other dos drives. But I do not have a bootable DOS
> system than can access the USB/CF dongle. I have a linux system but no
> compact flash reader/writer hardware.
>

> Any ideas?

We can send you a 8M CF with opendos (freedos?) on it. You just have
to pay for $5 shipping.

From: Martin Str|mberg on
In comp.os.msdos.programmer Steve Calfee <stevexcalfee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is a chicken and egg thing. Once I have a bootable DOS drive I can
> sys copy onto other dos drives. But I do not have a bootable DOS
> system than can access the USB/CF dongle. I have a linux system but no
> compact flash reader/writer hardware.

Do you have a drive letter for the CF in WINDOWS? If so, assuming the
CF is on G:, use FreeDOS sys (from a bootable FreeDOS floppy in A: for
example) and just do "sys g:".

If you don't have WINDOWS and only Linux, you might get something out
of DOSEMU, if you set things up right.

Right,

MartinS
From: linnix on

Martin Str|mberg wrote:
> In comp.os.msdos.programmer Steve Calfee <stevexcalfee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > It is a chicken and egg thing. Once I have a bootable DOS drive I can
> > sys copy onto other dos drives. But I do not have a bootable DOS
> > system than can access the USB/CF dongle. I have a linux system but no
> > compact flash reader/writer hardware.
>
> Do you have a drive letter for the CF in WINDOWS? If so, assuming the
> CF is on G:

How windows map the drive is completely irrelevant.

>, use FreeDOS sys (from a bootable FreeDOS floppy in A: for
> example) and just do "sys g:".

The OP has USB drive, FreeDOS knows nothing about USB at all. You must
be running FreeDOS to "sys".

> If you don't have WINDOWS and only Linux, you might get something out
> of DOSEMU, if you set things up right.

That will map into the linux drivers (IDE or FDC), which will carefully
protect the user from messing up the boot sector.

From: DOS Guy on

On 2005-06-19 Martin S said:

> The OP has USB drive, FreeDOS knows nothing about USB at all.

Yes. This is the crux of the entire problem.

In order to use -ANY- peripheral device connected to a USB port
from true DOS, you -MUST- install a third-party, DOS-based USB
software driver.

True DOS knows nothing about USB ports, and can't access them
without a driver.

There are several USB software drivers available for DOS. Try
one or two, until you find one that recognizes the presence of
the USB drive.

Google for 'USB + DOS' (without the quotes).

Once you've installed an appropriate DOS USB driver, it will
then be necessary to partition, format, and sys the USB drive.

Make certain that you do this with the O.S. that you'll be
using on the drive. Don't try to do it with a Mikro$loth
product.

Frankly, I wouldn't fsck around with FreeDOS at all. DR-DOS
version 7.xx is free, is much better than FreeDOS, and is a
hell of a lot more stable.

http://www.drdosprojects.de

Have fun!

 |  Next  |  Last