From: Hillbilly on
The HDTV platform has a term: pip (picture in a picture). The couch potato
may click button(s) on the remote controller and the football game or
whatever will be displayed in a small "window" with no chrome allowing the
couch potato to click and display different programs displayed to the screen
while retaining the ability to keep an eye on what is going on displayed in
the pip.

How do we do that?

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 3/16/2010 10:55 AM, Hillbilly wrote:
> The HDTV platform has a term: pip (picture in a picture). The couch
> potato may click button(s) on the remote controller and the football
> game or whatever will be displayed in a small "window" with no chrome
> allowing the couch potato to click and display different programs
> displayed to the screen while retaining the ability to keep an eye on
> what is going on displayed in the pip.
>
> How do we do that?

Well, technically this is a function of the TV, not the HDTV
specification. It existed on many pre-HDTV displays.

That said, what do you want to do? Do you want to display video with
PIP in a windows forms, WPF, asp.net application? Your question is
somewhat vague.

--
Mike
From: Hillbilly on
The emerging "digital signage" markets ignore using the HDTV yet the HDTV
platform is now IP enabled and the future of delivering media using the www
implies the HDTV platform is the sleeper which will prove to be the next big
thing while everybody is distracted on mobile. My research indicates OTT
graphics are indeed historically done in hardware using embedded systems of
some type noting the least expensive separate converter box I've found at
$2500.

Now there is a digital signage --software-- vendor that has some kind of
software solution that also happens to require the tuner as an add-in card
just like on any typical PC platform. They provide a "player" which is some
kind of app that runs on a PC. They are somehow able to use the player to
display the video from the TV card into a pip allowing the remainder of the
screen to be used for graphics OTT be they Silverlight or whatever...