From: Peter T on
"GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Peter T formulated on Tuesday :
>> Sorry Gary but we seem to be going round in circles here, let's start
>> afresh with what it is I'm missing (sorry if you've tried to make it
>> clear a dozen times!)
>>
>> 1. If the dll is to contain things like Implements 'IRibbonExtensibility'
>> we both agree it must have the reference set to v12.
>
> The ref I speak of here is what we set in Project>References, and must be
> for M$O12 Lib and Excel12 Lib. (Not to be confused with what version we
> set in the designer setup, which should be the earliest version we expect
> our COMAddin to be used with)
>>
>> 2. If the dll has the ref to v12 it will not work in earlier versions. To
>> work in all of 2000,2 & 3 it must have the ref set to v9. That means to
>> cater for all versions it means must make two dll's, with ref's v9 & v12
>> respectively.
>
> Incorrect! Since the earlier versions don't recognize the
> IRibbonExtensibility interface, they just ignore the code and so the
> Project>Refs as well. No error is raised since the code that uses the
> interface is never executed by the earlier versions.
>>
>> 3. You have repeatedly said you only make one ComAddin for all versions
>> 2000 to 2007 (with an xla wrapper)
>>
>> It would seem at least one of the three statements is mutually exclusive.
>> Or are you saying you make a single dll with the ref to v12, but because
>> when in use with an earlier version no v12 stuff gets called therefore
>> all works fine.
>
> Exactly!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter T
>>
>> PS yeah on the testing stuff, use whatever way suits you best, test in
>> VBA and/or VB6
>
> Sorry if I've been unable to make it clear in whole. I guess the confusion
> is mostly because I tried to answer each of your comments/questions in
> context. Given that you were confused about some of the stuff you were
> asking, I finally started qualifying your statements as 'correct' or
> 'incorrect' in hopes that things became more clear to you. Obviously it
> worked because points 1,3 pretty much summarize the COMAddin's structure.
> I wasn't sure it would work, myself, but I tried it out. Result is it
> works really well!
>
> regards,
> Garry

OK all clear now! That said I'm surprised. Actually I've never even bothered
to test a dll with the ref set to v12 in earlier versions. Reason is when
I've accidentally set the ref to v11, then tried it in Excel 2000/v9
problems have occurred (not surprisingly). I suspect though it depends on
what the code is actually doing. Indeed sometimes ref's to set to later
version than 'used-in' do version work, but not always. Obviously if
everything has always worked this way for you then if it works it works.
Intuitively though I'd be nervous, and don't think I'd do it that way even
if it apparently works.

> Given that you were confused about some of the stuff you were asking,

Don't think I was ever confused about my own questions, just not fully
absorbing what you had in fact said but thinking it couldn't be, hence my
confusion. Anyway, thanks for being patient!

Regards,
Peter T

From: GS on
Peter T wrote on 5/19/2010 :
> [...]
>>

> OK all clear now! That said I'm surprised. Actually I've never even bothered
> to test a dll with the ref set to v12 in earlier versions. Reason is when
> I've accidentally set the ref to v11, then tried it in Excel 2000/v9 problems
> have occurred (not surprisingly). I suspect though it depends on what the
> code is actually doing. Indeed sometimes ref's to set to later version than
> 'used-in' do version work, but not always. Obviously if everything has always
> worked this way for you then if it works it works. Intuitively though I'd be
> nervous, and don't think I'd do it that way even if it apparently works.
>
>> Given that you were confused about some of the stuff you were asking,
>
> Don't think I was ever confused about my own questions, just not fully
> absorbing what you had in fact said but thinking it couldn't be, hence my
> confusion. Anyway, thanks for being patient!

No problem! I will admit to having my own reservations about how refs
work in the context you state here, and so I tend to generally agree
with your apprehensions. I also have not tested this outside the
machines on my network. It would be nice to get some feedback for
different scenarios, though.

Best of luck in your endeavors,
Garry

From: GS on
Hi Peter,

Just following up to see if you're making any progress. Also, to ask if
you're interested in continuing discussion outside this forum?

Regards,

--
Garry

From: Peter T on
Hi Gary,

I am not currently involved in writing any new VB6/Excel projects, nor was I
when this discussion began, so the question of whether or not I am making
progress doesn't arise. I appreciate the thought though!

That's not to say of course I may not want to write more in the future, and
better adapted for 2007+ than my old ones are. By all means keep in touch
and if you've got something you want (lightly) testing I'll have a look. My
address is lightly disguised in the "Reply to" field, assuming you are using
a newsreader.

Regards,
Peter T

PS - what's that regroup link all about ?

From: GS on
on 5/28/2010, Peter T supposed :
> Hi Gary,
>
> I am not currently involved in writing any new VB6/Excel projects, nor was I
> when this discussion began, so the question of whether or not I am making
> progress doesn't arise. I appreciate the thought though!
>
> That's not to say of course I may not want to write more in the future, and
> better adapted for 2007+ than my old ones are. By all means keep in touch
> and if you've got something you want (lightly) testing I'll have a look. My
> address is lightly disguised in the "Reply to" field, assuming you are using
> a newsreader.
>
> Regards,
> Peter T
>
> PS - what's that regroup link all about ?
>

> "GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Just following up to see if you're making any progress. Also, to ask if
>> you're interested in continuing discussion outside this forum?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -- Garry
>>
>> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
>> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update! I'm impressed with the amount of detail and
tenacity with which you persued our discussion, given that you weren't
'actively' working with any of its content. I will note your email
address. Mine is gesansom at netscape dot net.

The regroup info is (currently) where the folks from the MS VB6 NG will
be migrating to after the NGs are shut down. It requires a one-time
registration on the server and works same as legacy NGs as far as news
readers are concerned. The general consensus was to make use of an
already existing NG rather than reinvent the wheel. It currently has
low traffic but this is expected to change once these M$ NGs are gone.
Meanwhile, we've agreed to 'kindly' advertise the move in our posts so
as not to be spamming.

Regards,

--
Garry