From: Peter T on

"GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the update! I'm impressed with the amount of detail and
> tenacity with which you persued our discussion, given that you weren't
> 'actively' working with any of its content.

:-)

> The regroup info is (currently) where the folks from the MS VB6 NG will be
> migrating to after the NGs are shut down. It requires a one-time
> registration on the server and works same as legacy NGs as far as news
> readers are concerned. The general consensus was to make use of an already
> existing NG rather than reinvent the wheel. It currently has low traffic
> but this is expected to change once these M$ NGs are gone. Meanwhile,
> we've agreed to 'kindly' advertise the move in our posts so as not to be
> spamming.

I'm still not clear what will happen once the MS public news server closes
down. Depending on what 'cancel' notifications MS send out maybe things will
carry on petty much as before. Those like me, whose ISP doesn't carry
newsgroups, would need to find another news server, google-groups perhaps.
We will see!

There seems to be a French guy who might (not clear) be planning to hi-jack
the entire MS public ng hierarchy (w/out MS agreement also not clear). If he
does, not sure if that would be a good thing (the service continues) or a
bad thing (means other mirrors will break and everyone be forced to use
his). Consensus amongst those who understand these things much better than
me is it would be a bad thing.

I will certainly make a note of the standby reserve!

Regards,
Peter T

From: GS on
It happens that Peter T formulated :
> "GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the update! I'm impressed with the amount of detail and tenacity
>> with which you persued our discussion, given that you weren't 'actively'
>> working with any of its content.
>
> :-)
>

>> The regroup info is (currently) where the folks from the MS VB6 NG will be
>> migrating to after the NGs are shut down. It requires a one-time
>> registration on the server and works same as legacy NGs as far as news
>> readers are concerned. The general consensus was to make use of an already
>> existing NG rather than reinvent the wheel. It currently has low traffic
>> but this is expected to change once these M$ NGs are gone. Meanwhile, we've
>> agreed to 'kindly' advertise the move in our posts so as not to be
>> spamming.
>
> I'm still not clear what will happen once the MS public news server closes
> down. Depending on what 'cancel' notifications MS send out maybe things will
> carry on petty much as before. Those like me, whose ISP doesn't carry
> newsgroups, would need to find another news server, google-groups perhaps. We
> will see!
>
> There seems to be a French guy who might (not clear) be planning to hi-jack
> the entire MS public ng hierarchy (w/out MS agreement also not clear). If he
> does, not sure if that would be a good thing (the service continues) or a bad
> thing (means other mirrors will break and everyone be forced to use his).
> Consensus amongst those who understand these things much better than me is it
> would be a bad thing.
>
> I will certainly make a note of the standby reserve!
>
> Regards,
> Peter T

I hope to see you there!

--