From: Matthew Wilson on
I know how to use timeit and/or profile to measure the current run-time
cost of some code.

I want to record the time used by some original implementation, then
after I rewrite it, I want to find out if I made stuff faster or slower,
and by how much.

Other than me writing down numbers on a piece of paper on my desk, does
some tool that does this already exist?

If it doesn't exist, how should I build it?

Matt

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:13:44 +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:

> I know how to use timeit and/or profile to measure the current run-time
> cost of some code.
>
> I want to record the time used by some original implementation, then
> after I rewrite it, I want to find out if I made stuff faster or slower,
> and by how much.
>
> Other than me writing down numbers on a piece of paper on my desk, does
> some tool that does this already exist?
>
> If it doesn't exist, how should I build it?

from timeit import Timer
before = Timer(before_code, setup)
after = Timer(after_code, setup)
improvement = min(before.repeat()) - min(after.repeat())

--
Steven
From: Martin v. Loewis on
Matthew Wilson wrote:
> I know how to use timeit and/or profile to measure the current run-time
> cost of some code.
>
> I want to record the time used by some original implementation, then
> after I rewrite it, I want to find out if I made stuff faster or slower,
> and by how much.
>
> Other than me writing down numbers on a piece of paper on my desk, does
> some tool that does this already exist?

I recommend to use rrd. This can record time series, and then generate
diagrams.

Regards,
Martin
From: exarkun on
On 08:13 pm, matt(a)tplus1.com wrote:
>I know how to use timeit and/or profile to measure the current run-time
>cost of some code.
>
>I want to record the time used by some original implementation, then
>after I rewrite it, I want to find out if I made stuff faster or
>slower,
>and by how much.
>
>Other than me writing down numbers on a piece of paper on my desk, does
>some tool that does this already exist?
>
>If it doesn't exist, how should I build it?

http://github.com/tobami/codespeed sounds like the kind of thing you're
looking for. You can see an example of what it does at
http://speed.pypy.org/

Jean-Paul