From: Dennman6 on
I have an e-Machines T-1120 bought new in 2002. Over the last month,
it will function normally then after 30-45 minutes goes to a blue
screen that says "hardware malfunction". I presume that the hard drive
is dying, but when I try to tranfer the contents of the HDD to a
Maxtor 500 GB external drive, the computer doesn't stay on long enough
for the Maxtor program to finish the transfer. I have had time to
extract any files I wanted to keep(documents, music, photos), but I
want to continue using this PC. About a year ago I bought a 120 GB
Maxtor internal drive to add to this PC & never got around to
installing it(yeah, I KNOW!). I have the restore discs for this PC,
but don't know what use they can be to the newer HDD. I tried running
them onto it with the new drive connected to the CD-RW drive's cables
& then as the HDD, with no positive results.

The motherboard is still good, & I had intended to put in a 500 watt
Antec power supply to replace the original one. I bought the Antec PS
as a "fix" to rejuvenate a 4 year old PC that went dead. That PC never
came back, so it's motherboard must've been fried when the original PS
failed. If I could figure out how to move the XP operating system onto
the newer HDD, after adding the 500 watt PS the T-1120 could still be
a useful unit. I have no shortage of PCs in the house, with a Compaq
laptop & two other e-Machines desktops bought last year. I even still
have a Compaq Presario 5460 from 1999 that still works fine with it's
original Seagate 10 GB HDD-obviously that is a limited machine. But I
hate waste & want to salvage this T-1120.
From: Andrew E. on
Well you really dont want the OS on an external drive anyway.For an
internal hd OS transfer,use xp XCOPY,it only takes about 5 minutes.However,
if the old hd is corrupted,then you may transfer its problems to the new,but
try it..Simply set the new hd as slave to current C: hd on the same IDE
cable,
old being the last plug on cable.Once in xp you need to format it,or maybe
format it in recovery console..Once formated,go to run,type:
XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window.Also,D: being
the new hd letter,if asigned diffrent latter,then use that instead,for all
XCOPY
cmds/etc, go to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491035.aspx

From: John John - MVP on
And you've actually tried this Xcopy thing, Andrew?

From: DL on
If you know the make of HD currently installed, that hd maker will have a
free bootable utility with which to test the hd.

And if the hd is failing any clone of the o/s may fail also

From: Smiles on
download hdsdos.zip from

http://www.hdsentinel.com/ it will tell you how your drive is