From: Jay on
I am working with this code for over 2 weeks and I can get this to work with
vb.net. this code works perfectly in vb 6.0. My problem is on how to convert
movefirst and find method from vb6 to vb.net.

Here's the code:

Private Function DeductOnhand(QtyNeeded As Integer, ByVal Order As Integer,
ByVal blnDeduct As Boolean, rs As Recordset) As Boolean
Dim Onhand As Boolean
Dim OrderTemp As Integer
Dim QtyNeededTemp As Double

Do Until DeductOnhand = True
OrderTemp = Order
QtyNeededTemp = QtyNeeded
rs.Find "Order = " & OrderTemp

Do Until Onhand = True 'Or OrderTemp = 1
If rs!Onhand >= QtyNeededTemp Then
If blnDeduct = False Then
DeductOnhand = True
Exit Function
Else
Onhand = True
End If

If QtyNeededTemp > 0 And QtyNeededTemp < 1 Then
QtyNeededTemp = 1
Else
QtyNeededTemp = CInt(QtyNeededTemp)
End If
Else
OrderTemp = OrderTemp - 1
If OrderTemp < 1 Then Exit Do
QtyNeededTemp = (QtyNeededTemp - rs!Onhand) / rs!Qty

rs.MoveFirst

rs.Find "Order = " & OrderTemp
End If
Loop

If Onhand = True Then
Do
rs!Onhand = rs!Onhand - QtyNeededTemp
OrderTemp = OrderTemp + 1

rs.MoveFirst
rs.Find "Order = " & OrderTemp

rs!Onhand = rs!Onhand + (QtyNeededTemp * rs!Qty)

rs.Update

Onhand = False

If OrderTemp = Order Then
DeductOnhand = True
Exit Do
Else
DeductOnhand = False
Exit Do
End If
Loop
Else
DeductOnhand = False
End If
Loop
End Function

In my vb.net code I tried using the select property of datatable but with no
luck.

Dim dt As DataTable = ds.Tables("ItemsDetails")

dt.Select("OrderNo = " & OrderTemp)

Anyone can please help me what is the equivalent of .movefirst and .find
property of vb6 to vb.net?

Thanks in advance

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 25.03.2010 23:49, schrieb Jay:
> I am working with this code for over 2 weeks and I can get this to work with
> vb.net. this code works perfectly in vb 6.0. My problem is on how to convert
> movefirst and find method from vb6 to vb.net.
> [...}

As there is no current record in a DataSet or a DataTable, there is nothing to
move. You can access any record in a DataTable by it's index.

dim row as datarow

row = dt.rows(17) 'access row with index 17 (= 18th row)

> In my vb.net code I tried using the select property of datatable but with no
> luck.
>
> Dim dt As DataTable = ds.Tables("ItemsDetails")
>
> dt.Select("OrderNo = " & OrderTemp)
>
> Anyone can please help me what is the equivalent of .movefirst and .find
> property of vb6 to vb.net?

The Select method is a function that returns an array of DataRows:

dim rows as datarow()

rows = dt.Select("OrderNo = " & OrderTemp)
if rows.length > 0 then
msgbox(rows(0)("qty"))
end if

Or, if OrderNo is the primary key, you can use

dim row as datarow

row = dt.rows.find(OrderTemp)

--
Armin
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Jay,

You are not the first one trying this, and will be not the last one who sees
that he did things without sense because those methods are often not needed
anymore. This is because in a dataset everything can direct be selected
while by instance the bindingsource can give the current position (or you
can do it yourself using the currencymanager)

However, if you want to go on in a VB6 way, then Linq to SQL (datacontext)
is probably a better solution for you. That has also like the recordset
possibilities to move to a next row.

Cor