From: Gary Keramidas on
i have it pinned to the taskbar. if i click it once, an instance opens. if i
then right click and choose microsoft excel from the menu, another instance
opens.

-- or, you can just hold the shift key when you click the taskbar icon and
another instance will open.

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

From: TopQuark on
THIS is is the correct response. One can also set the task bar such that
the open applications are not stacked up under the icon that launches them.
In other words, one can set it up to appear on the task bar in the
'classical' 'legacy' manner, where each open application uses up a task bar
area of its own. I like it stacked, and once the paradigm is learned and
familiar, it is quite intuitive and practical.