From: Misty on
Are you sure the connection is made and dropped? could it be that the table is linked in the app?

MauryMarkowit wrote:

Re: How to _really_ kill blocking spids?
01-May-07

"TheSQLGuru" wrote:

Well it's hard to say. All I know for sure is that any access to the tables
locks the subsequent users. Let me get specific; last night there was an
access on a view that joins two tables, a list of securities and a list of
owners. This access blocked, for whatever reason. From that point on everyone
in the office was locked out of the securities table, any access would be
blocked by that spid, and the securities table is used all over the place, so
everyone came complaining.

This really doesn't make any sense to me.

In an attempt to avoid these in the future, is there a way to say that a
join is "read only"? In this particular example the join to security was
simply to retrieve the name, it is a non-updatable access.

Maury

On Monday, April 30, 2007 5:08 PM
MauryMarkowit wrote:

How to _really_ kill blocking spids?
Every so often I get blocks on actions that simply should not cause blocks,
like selecting a text field from 100 rows of a 1000 row table. This causes
other users to be "locked out", and of course that must be *my* fault.

So I go into enterprise manager, find the culperit, and Kill Process it,
and... nothing. Ever. I have never once seen this kill the offending command.
So then I figure out which user is causing it and ask them to kill off their
(Access) app, and refresh. Now the blocking command is empty, but it *still*
won't go away.

No, this is not because of a rollback. These operations take tiny fractions
of a second to run and are *read only*.

Can anyone offer an explaination of what's happening, and how to REALLY
force kill these things?

Maury

On Monday, April 30, 2007 11:01 PM
TheSQLGuru wrote:

Are you SURE these spids you are trying to kill are actually active, running
Are you SURE these spids you are trying to kill are actually active, running
spids and not sleeping ones? Are you seeing the last executed command for a
spid that isn't really doing anything at the moment? That would explain why
KILL doesn't do anything.

--
TheSQLGuru
President

"Maury Markowitz" <MauryMarkowitz(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C6EAD511-6AA2-4FF8-87AA-5716B18CF4D6(a)microsoft.com...

"TheSQLGuru" wrote:

Well it's hard to say. All I know for sure is that any access to the tables
locks the subsequent users. Let me get specific; last night there was an
access on a view that joins two tables, a list of securities and a list of
owners. This access blocked, for whatever reason. From that point on everyone
in the office was locked out of the securities table, any access would be
blocked by that spid, and the securities table is used all over the place, so
everyone came complaining.

This really doesn't make any sense to me.

In an attempt to avoid these in the future, is there a way to say that a
join is "read only"? In this particular example the join to security was
simply to retrieve the name, it is a non-updatable access.

Maury

On Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:44 PM
MauryMarkowit wrote:

Re: How to _really_ kill blocking spids?
"Aaron Kempf" wrote:

I am!

Maury

Entity Framework 4.0 POCO-First development and POCO Template
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/488279c4-214b-47ef-b152-955f3795ee13/entity-framework-40-pocofirst-development-and-poco-template.aspx
From: Dan on
I think that's the old EggHead reply I've seen yet - over 3 years since the
last post to the thread :P

Dan