From: Glitch on
Hi

I got a 4 GB Kingston Data traveler (DTSP/4GB) in Xmas present from
med chef, but the thing is, I want to install winxp or something on it
and boot up etc..
http://www.kingston.com/flash/privacyUSB.asp

It seems I cant access anything unless I type in a security code which
blocks it from being bootable.

It works like 2 drives appear when inserting it 1 drive has a cdrom
icon with CDFS partition and the second drive looks like a normal USB
stick without security. Then it pops up with this "DataTraveler
Secure-Privacy Edition" password that I have to set to get access
to anything.

Anyone have experienced how to remove this security from such drive ?

I really wish anyone know how and you will save my hard work, have
tried many things for almost 3 days in a row.

Thanks in advance.

From: Ken Maltby on

"Glitch" <no(a)spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I got a 4 GB Kingston Data traveler (DTSP/4GB) in Xmas present from
> med chef, but the thing is, I want to install winxp or something on it
> and boot up etc..
> http://www.kingston.com/flash/privacyUSB.asp
>
> It seems I cant access anything unless I type in a security code which
> blocks it from being bootable.
>
> It works like 2 drives appear when inserting it 1 drive has a cdrom
> icon with CDFS partition and the second drive looks like a normal USB
> stick without security. Then it pops up with this "DataTraveler
> Secure-Privacy Edition" password that I have to set to get access
> to anything.
>
> Anyone have experienced how to remove this security from such drive ?
>
> I really wish anyone know how and you will save my hard work, have
> tried many things for almost 3 days in a row.
>
> Thanks in advance.

It is intentionally made with no "Public Area" to be secure. This is
not the stick to do what, you claim, you want.

Luck;
Ken

From: Ken Maltby on

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Glitch" <no(a)spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I got a 4 GB Kingston Data traveler (DTSP/4GB) in Xmas present from
>> med chef, but the thing is, I want to install winxp or something on it
>> and boot up etc..
>> http://www.kingston.com/flash/privacyUSB.asp
>>
>> It seems I cant access anything unless I type in a security code which
>> blocks it from being bootable.
>>
>> It works like 2 drives appear when inserting it 1 drive has a cdrom
>> icon with CDFS partition and the second drive looks like a normal USB
>> stick without security. Then it pops up with this "DataTraveler
>> Secure-Privacy Edition" password that I have to set to get access
>> to anything.
>>
>> Anyone have experienced how to remove this security from such drive ?
>>
>> I really wish anyone know how and you will save my hard work, have
>> tried many things for almost 3 days in a row.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> It is intentionally made with no "Public Area" to be secure. This is
> not the stick to do what, you claim, you want.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

P.S. Check this out:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6160062.html?tag=nl.e101

From: kony on
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 13:12:03 -0000, no(a)spam.invalid (Glitch)
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I got a 4 GB Kingston Data traveler (DTSP/4GB) in Xmas present from
>med chef, but the thing is, I want to install winxp or something on it
>and boot up etc..

Then you are ignoring that XP doesn't natively support
running from removable media. There are hacks to be able to
do it, like grafing on a removable storage driver but it's
far too lengthly a process to cover in a usenet post, Google
for how to do it if you hadn't already.

>http://www.kingston.com/flash/privacyUSB.asp
>
>It seems I cant access anything unless I type in a security code which
>blocks it from being bootable.

Kingston has software to remove this (software) and make it
a plain vanilla flash drive... or at least they do for some
of their drives, if you can't find it then Google for the
removal tool.

>It works like 2 drives appear when inserting it 1 drive has a cdrom
>icon with CDFS partition and the second drive looks like a normal USB
>stick without security. Then it pops up with this "DataTraveler
>Secure-Privacy Edition" password that I have to set to get access
>to anything.
>
>Anyone have experienced how to remove this security from such drive ?
>
>I really wish anyone know how and you will save my hard work, have
>tried many things for almost 3 days in a row.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I'd wondering if you did any research about actually running
XP from a flash drive before you started... perhaps you did
but you've omitted this.

Pages: 1
Prev: Need kb for green732e
Next: WD tech said?