From: sekhar on
We have Exch 2007 SP1 & AD W2K3 SP1. When we disable an user in AD, the user
still continues to receive e-mail. There is an option in E2K7 to disable
mailbox. But, is there a way to restrict disabled AD user account to receive
e-mail.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:26:01 -0700, sekhar
<sekhar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have Exch 2007 SP1 & AD W2K3 SP1. When we disable an user in AD, the user
>still continues to receive e-mail. There is an option in E2K7 to disable
>mailbox. But, is there a way to restrict disabled AD user account to receive
>e-mail.

Internet e-mail or internal e-mail?

The easiest ways to deal with Internet e-mail is to either change the
SMTP e-mail address(es) assigned to the user so the sender receives a
"mailbox unknown" NDR, or you can check the box that says only
authenticated users can send e-mail to the user. However, if you do
that the sender receives a NDR stating that they don't have permission
to send to the mailbox.

You can further restrict internal e-mail by configuring the mailbox to
accept e-mail only from one user (perhaps itself?).

Or you could just delete the mailbox.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP