From: M on
Hello:

What are some techniques that I could use to remove a message with a
specific subject from all Exchange mailbox servers? I'm familiar with using
ExMerge on one server, but I need to run this on 30 mailbox servers. It
looks like I can create a custom exmerge.ini file and copy it to each
server, then run this command from each server: exmerge -b -f
c:\exmerge.ini -srcserv %computername% (per
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262419).

I'm going to do some testing, but figured I'll ask some questions first to
see if anyone has tried the following:

- The same command above, but with a UNC instead? Something like this:
exmerge -b -f \\server-1\fileshare\exmerge.ini -srcserv %computername%
- Using Sysinternal's PsExec and a batch file to execute the command
remotely on all 30 servers. I've used this before to run an ipconfig /all on
all servers and that worked fine.

If there's quicker way to accomplish this using free tools, please let me
know. I'm running Exchange Server 2003 SP2.

Thank you.
--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

From: Frank on
you could run it all from one server (if they are all in the same domain and
you have the correct permissions)

just do a batch file and list the server names with the -srcserv switch

exmerge -b -f c:\exmerge.ini -srcserv server1
exmerge -b -f c:\exmerge.ini -srcserv server2

From: M on
I'm wondering how much longer it would take. As I mentioned, I have 30
servers (across two RGs), so I'm concerned that it could take a lot longer
doing it from one server. I guess another option would be to run it from one
server per RG. I'm suprised that MS didn't make it easier to do this.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

From: M on
I got this working. It took a lot longer than I expected. I'm going to clean
it up and will post the details on my blog http://sysadmin-e.com probably
next week.

To answer my own questions:

- Yes, UNCs work with the -F switch.
- Yes, PsExec can be used to remotely run ExMerge. This was a bit tricky
though, which is why I'll have to spend some time documenting it.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

"M" <m(a)n.com> wrote in message news:exLnMXhxKHA.3304(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> What are some techniques that I could use to remove a message with a
> specific subject from all Exchange mailbox servers? I'm familiar with
> using ExMerge on one server, but I need to run this on 30 mailbox servers.
> It looks like I can create a custom exmerge.ini file and copy it to each
> server, then run this command from each server: exmerge -b -f
> c:\exmerge.ini -srcserv %computername% (per
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262419).
>
> I'm going to do some testing, but figured I'll ask some questions first to
> see if anyone has tried the following:
>
> - The same command above, but with a UNC instead? Something like this:
> exmerge -b -f \\server-1\fileshare\exmerge.ini -srcserv %computername%
> - Using Sysinternal's PsExec and a batch file to execute the command
> remotely on all 30 servers. I've used this before to run an ipconfig /all
> on all servers and that worked fine.
>
> If there's quicker way to accomplish this using free tools, please let me
> know. I'm running Exchange Server 2003 SP2.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Regards,
> MCTS, MCSA