From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Bwig,

Not on all OS versions

From: Jeff Johnson on
"fniles" <fniles(a)pfmail.com> wrote in message

> Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or
> HTML) if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ?

Here's how I read his post, folks. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong.

"Is it possible to send email without using a mail client such as Outlook
and without having an SMTP server installed LOCALLY?"

The answer: OF COURSE IT IS. Tons of people send email every day in these
very situations. All that's needed is to connect to a REMOTE SMTP server. I
don't believe he was asking if it's possible to send email without an SMTP
sever involved AT SOME POINT.

The answer is "do a Google search," because this question has been asked and
answered over and over.

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Jeff,

I have returned the message only to the vb net newsgroup.
But that was in my first reply in the vb net newsgroup.

:-)

Cor

From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

I once wrote a VB6 catalogue program that had the ability to place orders
that had to be send to a e-mail adress of a reseller
after strugling with lots of methods ( registry etc etc ) to get the local
SMTP server and at one point running into a big problem where the users had
a Lotus Domino system i found out that it was much easier to send a form
posting over HTTP to a server that i controled and generate the e-mail from
there
to be send to the order department of the company where i wrote the program
for .

I then only needed the local email adress so the order department could
optionally reply to the placed order

Hope this helps

Michel

"fniles" <fniles(a)pfmail.com> schreef in bericht

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-04-27, Michel Posseth [MCP] <msdn(a)posseth.com> wrote:

> I once wrote a VB6 catalogue program that had the ability to place orders
> that had to be send to a e-mail adress of a reseller
> after strugling with lots of methods ( registry etc etc ) to get the local
> SMTP server and at one point running into a big problem where the users had
> a Lotus Domino system i found out that it was much easier to send a form
> posting over HTTP to a server that i controled and generate the e-mail from
> there
> to be send to the order department of the company where i wrote the program
> for .
>
> I then only needed the local email adress so the order department could
> optionally reply to the placed order
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Michel

I could see that in the old days - but, really how many companies don't have
email now a days? Even a small company is going to have an email account -
all you need to know is the server address and the login info to send an
email. smtp is a very simple protocol.

--
Tom Shelton