From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schreef in bericht
>>> For VB6 i used the VBSendmail.dll and in .Net you can just use the
>>> builtin
>>> framework classes however they are perfect in a "simple" situation
>>> even on a MS Exchange network it will not work if SMTP is closed on the
>>> mail
>>> server ( this is default on Exchange ) , for a fact in the company i
>>> currently work for we have a Linux mail server especially for our .Net
>>> apps
>>> as the admins want to keep the "recomended" settings on the Exchange
>>> server
>>> .
>>>

>> Hmmm... That's interesting. Not having ever done anything with Exchange
>> admin, I know nothing about setting it up or configuring it. Or what is
>> recommended best practice or not. But, I know on every corporate
>> exchange
>> network I have been on, I have no problems sending emails using the smtp
>> classes in .NET as long as I set the authentication properly...
>>

> I gave up trying to understand what happens in the heads of IT admins.
> Just yesterday I sent an update of my app to my customer - appended to an
> email. This time I sent it to his private email address, not his company
> email
> account.
> Last time I had to send it twice, the exe was stripped from my email and
> after
> hours trying to get it released from the IT he phoned me to send it to his
> private
> email account. There he _could_ download the exe to his company PC!
> Funny how they have secured their company net, isn't it?
>
> Helmut.

Helmut

I know exactly what you are dealing with , even zipping the file and deploy
it as an archive gets the file stripped from it here at my company
that is why i favor Winrar as my favorite archive tool ( for some weird
reason the RAR extension seems to be more safe ? ;-) )
also a good trick is to just rename foo.dll or foo.exe to foo.dl_ or
foo.ex_ with instructions for the receiver to rename the file in the mail
message

regards

Michel