From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:20:42 -0600, Jonathan Sachs wrote:

> In addition to that, I'm supposed to set the POP port to 995 and the
> SMTP port to 465. The tech support people are quite definite about
> that, but it doesn't work with or without theSSL change.
>
> I tried changing the SSL setting but not the ports, and that worked,
> but I'm doubful that it will satisfy the server.

Eudora's "Required, Alternate Port" setting for any SSL option
_implies_ port 995/993/465 for POP/IMAP/SMTP, respectively,
depending on where in the options dialog you choose it
(incoming for POP, incoming for IMAP, or outgoing for SMTP).

The fact that Eudora doesn't make the effective port numbers visible
when you make these selections has been one of the most common causes
of confusion and frustration among subscribers of various ISPs
who issue instructions only for Outlook [Express],
and then say "we don't support Eudora,"
which "translates" in many people's minds to
the _false_ notion that "Eudora can't handle our servers,"
making them think that they have to change to another email client
to keep using their old ISP.

Most of the ISPs requiring these settings now also require
authentication (a login with a user name and a password for sending mail,
just as for receiving mail), so Eudora's "Allow authentication" option
should usually also be checked.

Some of these ISPs may require your "user name" to include your
entire email address (e.g. "myself(a)sbcgobal.net" not just "myself"),
so /if/ that's what the ISP's instructions say to do for Outlook Express,
then of course do the same for Eudora.

Another issue which comes up with a few ISPs is that there exist
several different kinds of "authentication"; however, you are not asked
which type to use, because there is supposed to be a rather foolproof
"negotiation" between the email client and the server,
which should lead to their agreeing on a mutually satisfactory method,
without ever bothering you about it.

An occasional ISP, however, does not negotiate properly, and may instead
"walk out" of the negotiation and abruptly disconnect, just like hostile
political camps. Even those "hostile" servers can be dealt with
by Eudora, however, using a special "hidden" option, discussed here:

Windows: http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html
(see "SMTPAuthBanished" which is also in Help, and in the manual)

MacOS: http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2434hq.html

Windows and Mac: http://support.ipswitch.com/kb/IM-20000208-DM02.htm
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.mac/msg/588abac6f6c7cbf1

Once in a while, a very restrictive ISP (e.g. Network Solutions in one case)
refuses to accept outgoing mail unless you specify your return address
(used in "From: myself(a)mydomain") as the same account (or same domain)
as you host with that ISP; if so, this restriction will apply
regardless of what email client you use, and if you don't like
that straitjacket, you should send your mail using a different ISP,
not a different email program.

If you want to read incoming mail at ISP#1 but use ISP#2 to send mail,
or any case where sending mail requires a different host, userid or password
than reading mail, you then need to use a different Eudora "Personality"
for sending than for receiving, and how to do that is explained here:

Windows: http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/win_smtp_relay.html
Mac: http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/mac_smtp_relay.html

The "bottom line" is that Eudora contains the same standard methods
for talking to POP/IMAP/SMTP servers as any other common email program;
the only differences are in the styles of making the appropriate settings.

All it takes to succeed is reading the above sources,
and making the appropriate translation between the ISP's language
(often aimed at Outlook Express)
and Eudora's way of specifying the same thing.

--

"Seek, and you shall find;
ask, and it shall be given;

Pages: 1