From: Rob Warnock on
Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Actually, since you've not shown us that you defined the variable
| some_var, some strange things may occur in a Common Lisp implementation
| when you evaluate this setq out of white at the toplevel...
+---------------

Aha! Interesting difference in idioms here: in the U.S. one would say
"out of the blue" instead of "white".

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3(a)rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
rpw3(a)rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | Actually, since you've not shown us that you defined the variable
> | some_var, some strange things may occur in a Common Lisp implementation
> | when you evaluate this setq out of white at the toplevel...
> +---------------
>
> Aha! Interesting difference in idioms here: in the U.S. one would say
> "out of the blue" instead of "white".

Well, not being a native speaker, I must have misremembered the idiom.
So: s/white/the blue/

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: webmasterATflymagnetic.com on
On Nov 7, 12:45 pm, p...(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> r...(a)rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:
> > Pascal J. Bourguignon <p...(a)informatimago.com> wrote:
> > +---------------
> > | Actually, since you've not shown us that you defined the variable
> > | some_var, some strange things may occur in a Common Lisp implementation
> > | when you evaluate this setq out of white at the toplevel...
> > +---------------
>
> > Aha! Interesting difference in idioms here: in the U.S. one would say
> > "out of the blue" instead of "white".
>
> Well, not being a native speaker, I must have misremembered the idiom.
> So: s/white/the blue/
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

Naw -- Europe's cloudier than the US; white skies rather than blue
skies.
From: Adam Michalik on
"webmasterATflymagnetic.com" <webmaster(a)flymagnetic.com> writes:

> Naw -- Europe's cloudier than the US; white skies rather than blue
> skies.

Surely even grass is greener in the US, am I right?

--
Adam Michalik
vel Dodek Dodecki
From: vj on
Thanks Pascal and Thomas.

Your comments were useful and made me dig further. Turns out that lisp
was running on top of a plugin. So, data.some_val would actually
execute a method [data here] in the plugin and return the value for
the variable of name some_val.

As Pascal rightly expected, the some_val was only "readable" and not
"writeable" (for lack of a corresponding method in the plugin
implementation).

hagw.

On Nov 7, 8:33 pm, Adam Michalik <dode...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> "webmasterATflymagnetic.com" <webmas...(a)flymagnetic.com> writes:
> > Naw -- Europe's cloudier than the US; white skies rather than blue
> > skies.
>
> Surely even grass is greener in the US, am I right?
>
> --
> Adam Michalik
>  vel Dodek Dodecki
> <dodek[]dodecki.net>

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Is there a better way to store this?
Next: Lisp sucks!