From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
rpw3(a)rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon <pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | rpw3(a)rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:
> | > But I'm sorry, Pascal. I couldn't find one that was uniquely French...
> |
> | I guess the corresponding expression would be "un �clair en plein jour",
> | which is quite rareley used.
> +---------------
>
> My sister (who speaks *much* better French than I!) says that the
> Harper/Collins/Robert dictionary lists "coup de tonnerre" -- literally
> "a clap of thunder" or "thunderclap", but figuratively meaning
> "bombshell", "bolt from the blue", or "thunderbolt". Does that
> sound appropriate here?
>
> [A friend of hers also suggested "sans crier gare" -- "without any
> warning or unexpectedly" -- but I'm not sure that's quite the same.]

Yes, "sans crier gare" would mean the same.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about "coup de tonnerre", since it's
usually preceded by the flash...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com
From: Alberto Riva on
Rob Warnock wrote:
> webmasterATflymagnetic.com <webmaster(a)flymagnetic.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | p...(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

> | > Well, not being a native speaker, I must have misremembered the idiom.
> | > So: s/white/the blue/
> |
> | Naw -- Europe's cloudier than the US; white skies rather than blue skies.
> +---------------
>
> Actually, looking at Wiktionary[1] it would seem that in most European
> countries the analogous idiom to the English "out of the blue" has
> more to do with "clear sky" rather than "the blue" [albeit clear skies
> *are* typically blue], and *not* "white" [though see (Russia#2) below]:
>
> - From clear sky (Germany)
>
> - Like a lightning bolt out of a clear sky (Finland, Sweden)
>
> - Like a thunder {from,in} {the,a} clear sky (Bosnia, Serbia,
> Croatia, Lithuania, Russia#1, Iceland#1)
>
> Some more... indirect phrases were also given as alternates:
>
> - Like snow onto the head (Russia#2)
>
> - Like the devil from the sheep's leg (Iceland#2)

In Italian we have "fulmine a ciel sereno", which is essentially the
same as the Finnish and Swedish expression above. It's normally used for
things that are totally surprising and unexpected, so it has a
"stronger" meaning than the English idiom...

Alberto
From: GP lisper on
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:18:06 -0500, <vnikolov(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 02:50:57 -0600, rpw3(a)rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) said:
>> - Like a thunder {from,in} {the,a} clear sky (Bosnia, Serbia,
>> Croatia, Lithuania, Russia#1, Iceland#1)
>
> Add Bulgaria to this list.
>
> As a sidenote, there is (at least in Bulgarian) an expression that
> literally means "see stars in the middle of a white day", which
> refers to the "stars" one "sees" after a strike on the head, but
> that is a rather special case of surprise.

Ah, the things I learn in c.l.l that bring a smile to my face.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Is there a better way to store this?
Next: Lisp sucks!