From: rock on
Hi,

I have XP pro and it has started to keep on rebooting at start up with a
flash of a blue screen message which I can't read as it is so fast.

It boots up with the Windows logo screen and the blue lines showing it
working for a few seconds but then it goes black and then the blue
screen flashes and it then reboots to the same thing again.

How can I read that blue screen and how can I see what it wrong and fix it.

Thanks

oz

From: SC Tom on

"rock" <1940(a)pobox.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have XP pro and it has started to keep on rebooting at start up with a
> flash of a blue screen message which I can't read as it is so fast.
>
> It boots up with the Windows logo screen and the blue lines showing it
> working for a few seconds but then it goes black and then the blue screen
> flashes and it then reboots to the same thing again.
>
> How can I read that blue screen and how can I see what it wrong and fix
> it.
>
> Thanks
>

> oz

Press F8 during boot up until the boot options menu comes up. Scroll down to
"Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press enter. That will
stop it at the BSOD if it comes up again.
--
SC Tom

From: rock on
Thanks but this did not work on my XP box.

It is a USB KB.

oz

From: Shenan Stanley on
rock wrote:
> Thanks but this did not work on my XP box.
>
> It is a USB KB.

USB, PS/2 - doesn't matter much if the system is setup properly.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Shenan Stanley on
rock wrote:
> Thanks guys..
>
> Silly as it sounds, I might try that as I do want to know what this
> thing is telling so I can go straight to the problem.
>
> I have taken the HD out of that box and into a usb external of
> another box and can see all the files.. It looks so innocent!! I
> am trying to save all my files before I attempt to fix the bad
> blocks, if I ever am able to get to that point.
>
> Shame there is not anyway with the files being exposed like that
> that one can 'fix' the corrupt ones!! Now that's an idea MS??
>
> What about doing a Chkdsk as it is in the usb. Could that screw my
> XP files if that is where the bad blocks are.
>
> Is there some way of doing this right?
>
> Thanks again for the input.

Depending on your periodic/consistent backups for the important files
(yours) is the standard way people protect their data. ;-)

Imaging the entire disk is another thing you can do.

Backups of some sort - best defense against all such issues. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way