From: Ant on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Often that may determine if Acrobat or Reader is installed, and what version via the COM
> class object such as the CLSID

Firefox shouldn't know about COM.

> Ant may have a better answer.

I have Java disabled in Firefox since it's rare that a site requires
it for navigation. However, I suspect VG means Javascript. I also have
Acrobat set to not display PDFs in a browser (I download them instead)
and don't have any plugins installed for Firefox.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ant" <not(a)home.today>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> Often that may determine if Acrobat or Reader is installed, and what version via the
>> COM
>> class object such as the CLSID

| Firefox shouldn't know about COM.

>> Ant may have a better answer.

| I have Java disabled in Firefox since it's rare that a site requires
| it for navigation. However, I suspect VG means Javascript. I also have
| Acrobat set to not display PDFs in a browser (I download them instead)
| and don't have any plugins installed for Firefox.

While FF doesn't use ActiveX, why wouldn't know COM Automation and COM Class objects ?
{ I'm not a programmer so I really don't know }

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| Roedy Green wrote:

>> Instead of using associations, you can launch the acrobat reader
>> directly with the file as a parameter.

>> See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/exec.html

| So if I want to maintain pdf shell file-associations but at the same
| time prevent direct malicious launching of acrobat, then would renaming
| the acrobat reader executable do the job?

| So if I rename acrord32.exe to acrobat32.exe, then any attempt to launch
| "acrord32.exe" from java would fail?

| (would also mean renaming the file in the registry too)

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> They aren't always launched via PDF file association.

>> Often that may determine if Acrobat or Reader is installed, and
>> what version via the COM class object such as the CLSID

>> {AC76BA86-1033-F400-7760-000000000004}

| I don't have that clsid in my registry. Instead I have this:

| {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7646-A00000000001}

| Or maybe this?

| {B801CA65-A1FC-11D0-85AD-444553540000}

{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7646-A00000000001}
Do you have Adobe Reader v6.01 ?

{B801CA65-A1FC-11D0-85AD-444553540000}
Adobe Reader 4.0 ?

--
Dave

From: Ant on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Ant":
>| Firefox shouldn't know about COM.

> While FF doesn't use ActiveX, why wouldn't know COM Automation and COM Class objects ?
> { I'm not a programmer so I really don't know }

An ActiveX control is a self-registering COM object. You can read more
about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159621/en-us

Since FF doesn't do ActiveX I would expect it not to use COM or other
MS specific technologies. That would be more work for maintaining the
code base which must also be used for non-Windows systems. However,
there is a plugin to enable the use of ActiveX, so I'm not sure what's
to stop developers using COM in plugins for other things. Interesting
question and I don't have a FF Adobe plugin to check.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ant" <not(a)home.today>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> From: "Ant":
>>| Firefox shouldn't know about COM.

>> While FF doesn't use ActiveX, why wouldn't know COM Automation and COM Class objects ?
>> { I'm not a programmer so I really don't know }

| An ActiveX control is a self-registering COM object. You can read more
| about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159621/en-us

| Since FF doesn't do ActiveX I would expect it not to use COM or other
| MS specific technologies. That would be more work for maintaining the
| code base which must also be used for non-Windows systems. However,
| there is a plugin to enable the use of ActiveX, so I'm not sure what's
| to stop developers using COM in plugins for other things. Interesting
| question and I don't have a FF Adobe plugin to check.

OK....

--
Dave